1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buckingham pi fluid mechanics

1. Jan 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a) A orifice, diameter d (m), in the walls of a tank discharges water under a head, h (m), subjected to gravitational acceleration, g (m/s2). If the fluid has density, ρ (kg/m3)and viscosity, μ (Ns/m2), show that the quantity of fluid Q (m3/s) flowing out of the tank may be expressed by the equation.

2. Relevant equations
    Q= h^2 √gh ϕ( μ/(ρ√g h^(3/2) ) ,h/d)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been struggling on this for over a week. i've worked out there's 3 Pi group and i have all the units in dimensional format eg ρ= M/L^3

I can't seem to work out which repeating variables to use, when ot which pi group.Any help or pointers with this would be very much appreciated as i know how to do the next stages.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2015 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

hi, welcome to physicsforums :)
    yeah, you're right, there are 3 Pi groups. So, what does their equation show?
    Maybe it is easier to look at it like Q/(h^2 √gh) = ϕ( μ/(ρ√g h^(3/2) ) ,h/d)

4. Jan 13, 2015 #3
    It's hard to help unless you show us what you did.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted