Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buckling Experiment

1. Jul 15, 2011 #1
    Hi i am doing my project on corelation between experiment and analysis for buckling. So for doing the experiment i should prepare my own test rig . but how it is possible could anyone help me in my project?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2011 #2
    That's a really broad question. You should provide more details, and what kinds of equipment you have access to.

If you just want to measure the buckling load of a fixed-fixed Euler column then just make samples that fit into a compression test machine.

4. Jul 16, 2011 #3
    ya its a fixed-fixed end and i can do that on instron machine. the main problem is that which type of fixtures should i do for doing on aluminium rod. the dia of aluminium rodi is 6.63 mm
    and length 420 mm. can u make hand calculations for this as well because i got 377N but my professor that its to low u should do once again.

5. Jul 17, 2011 #4
    take a steel profile, put a bucket on top and gradually fill it with water, given that with every phase you measure the bendage variables.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook