What is the Correct Molecular Weight of Buckministerfullerene (C60)?

• Thread starter scarecrow
  • Start date
In summary, the fullerene C60, also known as buckminsterfullerene, has a molecular weight of 720.66 g/mol, including hydrogen atoms. However, some sources list the weight as 720.66 g/mol without accounting for the hydrogens. This discrepancy may be due to the fact that fullerenes are allotropes of carbon and are composed entirely of carbon atoms, with no hydrogen atoms present. A professor's claim that there are hydrogens on C60 has been refuted by a paper describing the synthesis of C60H6. The structure of C60 includes alternating single and double bonds between carbon atoms and can be considered a Lewis acid, according to the definition of acid.
scarecrow
I have been searching all over for the CORRECT molecular weight of the fullerene C60, also called the buckministerfullerene. The weights I see listed do not account for the HYDROGENS! People assume it's just C60, when actually there are hydrogens sticking out from the cage.

I've searched in the Sigma-Aldrich chemical catalog, but to my surprise they have it listed wrong too (720.66 g/mol).

Does anyone know the correct molecular weight for the fullerene?:confused:
Edit: Nevermind. It's C60H60.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
fullerenes are allotropes of carbon. they are only composed of carbon atoms just like diamonds and graphite. in fact, the only thing known that will protonate C60 is carborane superacid H(CHB11Cl11 which is 1 million times stronger than sulfuric acid.

Last edited:
My professor was quite adamant that there are hydrogens on the fullerene C60.

C60 is C60. If you could find a piece of literature to back up your claim, I would be surprised. Otherwise, I dare say your professor is wrong.

"The fullerenes are a recently-discovered family of carbon allotropes named after Buckminster Fuller. They are molecules composed entirely of carbon, in the form of a hollow sphere, ellipsoid, or tube." ~http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullerene

Sorry buddy, but either you misheard, your professor is onto a major fallacy in how the whole world does chemistry, or he is wrong.

How could it be an acid without hydrogen atoms?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid

Check out the definition of Lewis Acids...these focus on electron transfer as opposed to hydrogen donation. This can make compounds such as AlCl3 an acid.

There are NO hydrogens in a "Buckyball" - This structure can be reconciled with the tendency of carbon to form four bonds if one assumes that each C engaged in one double bond and two single bonds with the neighboring carbon atoms. Overall, this results in a structure that has patterns of alternating single and double bonds as one traces the C-C bonding framework. Each carbon lies at the vertex of fused 5- and 6-membered rings.

I guess my prof wanted us to do some digging, so I found a paper that describes the synthesis of C60H6.

Meier, M. S, Weedon, B. R., Spielmann, H. P. (1996) "Synthesis and Isolation of One Isomer of C60H6" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 118, 11682-11683.

What is Buckministerfullerene (C60)?

Buckministerfullerene (C60) is a molecule composed of 60 carbon atoms arranged in a spherical shape, resembling a soccer ball. It is also known as "buckyballs" or "fullerenes".

How was Buckministerfullerene (C60) discovered?

Buckministerfullerene (C60) was discovered in 1985 by a team of scientists led by Harold Kroto, Richard Smalley, and Robert Curl. They were studying the makeup of soot produced from burning graphite and found C60 to be one of the components.

What are the properties of Buckministerfullerene (C60)?

Buckministerfullerene (C60) has a unique structure that gives it many interesting properties. It is extremely strong, yet lightweight, making it useful in materials such as tennis rackets and bicycle frames. It is also a good conductor of electricity and has the ability to absorb and emit light.

What are the potential applications of Buckministerfullerene (C60)?

Buckministerfullerene (C60) has a wide range of potential applications. It has been used in drug delivery systems, as a lubricant, and in solar cells. It is also being researched for its potential use in cancer treatment and water purification.

Is Buckministerfullerene (C60) safe for human use?

Currently, there is limited research on the potential health effects of Buckministerfullerene (C60). While some studies have shown it to be non-toxic, more research is needed to fully understand its safety for human use. It is important to handle this molecule with caution and follow proper safety protocols when working with it in a laboratory setting.