Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buckministerfullerene (C60)

1. Sep 16, 2006 #1
    I have been searching all over for the CORRECT molecular weight of the fullerene C60, also called the buckministerfullerene. The weights I see listed do not account for the HYDROGENS!!!!! People assume it's just C60, when actually there are hydrogens sticking out from the cage.

I've searched in the Sigma-Aldrich chemical catalog, but to my surprise they have it listed wrong too (720.66 g/mol).

Does anyone know the correct molecular weight for the fullerene?

:confused:

Edit: Nevermind. It's C60H60.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2006 #2
    fullerenes are allotropes of carbon. they are only composed of carbon atoms just like diamonds and graphite. in fact, the only thing known that will protonate C60 is carborane superacid H(CHB11Cl11 which is 1 million times stronger than sulfuric acid.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  4. Sep 18, 2006 #3
    My professor was quite adamant that there are hydrogens on the fullerene C60.

5. Sep 18, 2006 #4
    C60 is C60. If you could find a piece of literature to back up your claim, I would be surprised. Otherwise, I dare say your professor is wrong.

6. Sep 19, 2006 #5
    "The fullerenes are a recently-discovered family of carbon allotropes named after Buckminster Fuller. They are molecules composed entirely of carbon, in the form of a hollow sphere, ellipsoid, or tube." ~http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullerene

Sorry buddy, but either you misheard, your professor is onto a major fallacy in how the whole world does chemistry, or he is wrong.

7. Sep 19, 2006 #6
    How could it be an acid without hydrogen atoms?

8. Sep 19, 2006 #7
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid

Check out the definition of Lewis Acids...these focus on electron transfer as opposed to hydrogen donation. This can make compounds such as AlCl3 an acid.

9. Sep 19, 2006 #8
    There are NO hydrogens in a "Buckyball" - This structure can be reconciled with the tendency of carbon to form four bonds if one assumes that each C engaged in one double bond and two single bonds with the neighboring carbon atoms. Overall, this results in a structure that has patterns of alternating single and double bonds as one traces the C-C bonding framework. Each carbon lies at the vertex of fused 5- and 6-membered rings.

10. Sep 20, 2006 #9
    I guess my prof wanted us to do some digging, so I found a paper that describes the synthesis of C60H6.

Meier, M. S, Weedon, B. R., Spielmann, H. P. (1996) "Synthesis and Isolation of One Isomer of C60H6" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 118, 11682-11683.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?