Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buckyballs have been banned!

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2012 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

People are swallowing the magnets, thus the product is defective.. interesting take on it.

4. Jul 26, 2012 #3

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Not only that but the product is not marketed as a childrens toy. So it's more like "children are swallowing parts of a product that they shouldn't have and thus the product is defective".

5. Jul 26, 2012 #4
    It's a great advertising gimmick the CPSC has come up with. I hadn't heard of these and just bought 2 sets.

6. Jul 26, 2012 #5

Danger

Gold Member

This is even stupider than that cow who sued McDonald's because she couldn't figure out how to drink coffee.

7. Jul 26, 2012 #6
    http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/07/buckyballs-banned/

There are a number of competitors that were not mentioned in the OP. nanodots, neocube, zen magnets, and cybercube.

Any chocking hazards, including; marshmallows, balloons and hot dogs are much more likely to be fatal.

8. Jul 26, 2012 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Especially hotdogs. :yuck:
    At least the other two things that you named are edible.

9. Jul 27, 2012 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Here in Norway, we just passed a resolution banning polar bears and old firs, due to the hazards they represent to 2-year olds.

10. Jul 27, 2012 #9
    I miss natural selection...

11. Jul 27, 2012 #10

Danger

Gold Member

And apparently it missed you. :tongue:

Arildno, old bean... are you honestly telling us that Norweedish children don't have pet polar bears? That's tremendously disillusioning.

12. Jul 27, 2012 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

In that age, we let them play with greater and lesser weevers.

13. Jul 27, 2012 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Surprising. I'd have thought that it's pretty difficult to take one for a walk.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  14. Jul 27, 2012 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You know, I thought this was silly too, when I read it. But then I saw it on the news. It's not just a theoretical danger. A 4 year old child got a perforated intestine requiring emergency surgery to remove most of his small intestine because he's swallowed just 3 of these.

In another case a 3 year old went to the hospital after ripping three holes in her lower intestine and one hole in her stomach.

The problem is, unlike automobiles, polar bears and household cleaning supplies, these things are toys. How do you keep kids away from them?

BTW, it's not just toddlers. Teenagers are having this happen too. They wear them like piercings and accidentally swallow them. That may be somewhat foolish, but I wouldn't normally qualify that as idiotic. It's not idiotic to swallow a nickel. Happens all the time. Doctors orders: wait a couple of days and maybe take a laxative.

You're probably saying "well, stupid people will get themselves hurt, why do the rest of us have to suffer?" Thing is, these things are a type of danger that is outside our normal experience. Magnetism has never been a dangerous phenomenon in normal experience. It is not necessarily reasonable for the average person to think that an innocuous metal ball or two could kill them.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  15. Jul 27, 2012 #14

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They are also a hazard to pets: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-17688011

16. Jul 27, 2012 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

17. Jul 27, 2012 #16
    With all these bans in place, soon we won't be able to eat anything.

18. Jul 27, 2012 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

There's still you. :smile:

19. Jul 27, 2012 #18

Curious3141

Homework Helper

The politicians can't ban defective people, otherwise who else would vote for them? So they ban "defective" products instead.

20. Jul 27, 2012 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I hear ya, but I still insist, a product is a legitimate danger to the public if:

- it can send you to the hospital with life-threatening injuries
    and
    - it is otherwise a reasonably innocuous thing, not known by most people to have such a risk associated with it
    and yet
    - is a toy.

21. Jul 28, 2012 #20
    If you swallow 2 bucky balls and they later pinch 2 intestines together that could be quite painful and require an operation to remove. Just saying.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook