Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buddhism, my problem

1. May 19, 2005 #1
    the buddhism teaches us that our consciousness are reincarnated whenever we pass away. However, just like the problem posed by athiests to christians about the notation of a beginning, I too, have the same question. Suppose that buddhists are right and that reincarnation is the way to go, how did our consciousness went into rotation in the first place?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

By conservation of angular momentum.

4. May 19, 2005 #3
    There is no such thing as a true begining. In Judaism/christianity God creates everything in the begininning, but then this wasn't really the beginning, because god already existed and it seems impossible for there to be a beginning. This is similar to the buddhism problem. The reason that this problem exists is because Man always sees things as having a beginning and an end. It is hard for us to understand that existence cannot have a beginning. It's not an irrational idea though. The circle doesn't have a beginning or an end.

5. May 20, 2005 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Very Zen, arildno. :rofl: :cool:

6. May 20, 2005 #5
    From a spiritual point of view, it really doesn't matter. But believing such things, especially if you work in science or math, in my opinion, takes a degree of "Doublethink".

7. May 20, 2005 #6
    Reincarnation is a religious doctrine, not a philosophical concept. As such, it doesn't have to make sense.

8. May 22, 2005 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Is that any harder to believe than a universe emerges from nothing, or one that bangs and collapses in eternal cycles?

9. May 23, 2005 #8

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please see our policy on religious discussions. This is a question that is best left for buddhism in particular, rather than philosophy in general.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?