Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Budget phone camera

1. Nov 30, 2015 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I am looking for my next phone camera, i have £200 to spend, i want one that can take a good photo, the rest can all be basic, i do not need internet on it, do you have any recommendations..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I doubt such a beast - a phone with a good camera but without the internet - exists these days.

4. Nov 30, 2015 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are a lot of options, but they will likely all be smartphones. "Good photo" is pretty subjective, but my guess is almost any modern smartphone may meet your needs.

I'm an Android guy, so my first-thought recommendations are either the Moto G or the Google Nexus 5x, both are well-rated and very reasonably priced smartphones (the Nexus 5x has a better camera than the Moto G FYI). You might also browse this site's articles if Android is something you would be interested in: http://www.androidcentral.com/. As always, check compatibility of the smartphones in your area before purchasing.

5. Nov 30, 2015 #4

meBigGuy

Gold Member

That's hard to quantify. does good include HDR, panorama, manual exposures. Lots of pixels? raw mode?

I've had good luck buying used phones here. The iphone 5s takes good pictures. (although I'm an android guy)
    https://swappa.com/buy/apple-iphone-5s?action=buy

6. Dec 1, 2015 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

have to completely agree with this comment

Dave

7. Dec 1, 2015 #6
    I've got Huawei ascend g7. The camera is OK for the price category but if course it is not as good as more expensive ones. I am afraid that you will not be able to get an excellent camera for 200 pounds.

8. Dec 1, 2015 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Guess i will have to look on the second hand market, thanks.

9. Dec 1, 2015 #8

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that both of the phones I listed (Moto G or the Google Nexus 5x) both meet your budget requirements. 2015 has been an especially good year for the budget-minded smartphone market.

10. Dec 1, 2015 #9
    I am glad you ask this question in PF. Here people do mainly with mainstream science and calculus a lot.
    Do you pay people you ask to look up phones for you ? :DD Please add some extra pennies to pay them if you don't.
    200p I think is not enough to get a good phone. So if you are accidentally introduced to bad phones and later buy any, don't be sad. Think about your main plan to get such a pretty cheap phone. Except that it can help you keep or store contacts, take pictures and call customers, what else would it be more useful to pay for ?

I don't have a good modern phone myself. I have one at $35 but I can use the internet, face-book, check emails and call people. And yes, its screen and taken image quality are seriously bad.

11. Dec 1, 2015 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Wolram, even the most basic phones have the ability to access the internet, it's your plan that activates it, gives you discounts for using it, etc...

12. Dec 1, 2015 #11
    Nokia lumia 1020 has a good camera.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook