Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buffalo Chicken

1. Jun 26, 2005 #1

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gale's just told me that in the US you can get a food called Buffalo Chicken.

Now, to me, that sounds too good to be true. Mixing two nice meats together to create an uber-tasty roast dinner? Or perhaps it's not mixing, it's some kind of horrendous crossbreed between a chicken and a buffalo? One of Moonbear's legendary experiments, perhaps?

Anyway, I had an idea.
    You know that decadent roast dinner where you get a boned duck, and stuff it inside a boned chicken, which you then stuff inside a boned goose, which you then stuff inside a boned turkey...

Well, I wondered why you can't do this with red meat. Get a boned lamb, stuff it inside a boned pig, stuff it inside a boned cow, stuff it inside a boned horse... Joy!

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And Danger, your comments and innuendoes on the word "boned" are not welcome here. :smile:

4. Jun 26, 2005 #3
    i LOVE buffalo chicken! mmmmmmmmmmmm!

basically its spicy chicken, and its soooo good. me love! i like tenders better than buffalo wings though. no bones for me.

5. Jun 26, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Crap! I hate pre-emptive strikes. :grumpy:
    :biggrin:

6. Jun 26, 2005 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To be honest, I thought I was giving you plenty to play with, in the form of "horse", "red meat", "stuff", "roast" and "Moonbear"!

:smile:

7. Jun 26, 2005 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Generally the full expression is "Buffalo Chicken Wings"

The Buffalo comes from the Geographic origin of the dish, Buffalo New York. It consists of spicy chicken wings and perhaps a Blue Cheese dip.

8. Jun 26, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah, you did. As much as I hate to admit it, I was eager to get back to your injector question in the other thread so I didn't bother trying to think something up. :redface:

9. Jun 26, 2005 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Awww, not buffalo meat then?

And I was getting excited that your buffalo had wings, thus confirming my suspicions of Moonbear's chicken/buffalo genetic experiments!

10. Jun 26, 2005 #9
    A place called Chicken that sells buffalo.

11. Jun 26, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's supposed to be a layer of goose too? Over on this side of the puddle, it's called Turducken, and as the name implies, it only has turkey, duck and chicken.

:rofl: That'd be a mighty big roast! :surprised Does it count to stuff pork chops with sausage?

12. Jun 27, 2005 #11

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Buffalo naitives affirm that Troy, NY is close enough to Buffalo to boast authentic Buffalo wings, so eat yer hearts out. :cool:

And they are awesome. When I moved here from Chicago in 1992 I mourned the loss of The Greatest Pizza on the Planet. Then I found "the regional food" here, and I have been loving it ever since. Basically you take frozen chicken wings and fry them until they're crispy. Then you dump them in a bowl with Frank's hot sauce, some melted butter, and hot pepper to taste.

Yum! :smile:

13. Jun 27, 2005 #12

Lisa!

Gold Member

Don't give up too soon! :grumpy:

14. Jun 27, 2005 #13

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

There are places that have buffalo chicken sandwiches....not the same thing though.

15. Jun 27, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need the hot sauce to keep you warm during those awful winters up there!

But I'm still miffed that our Turducken cheats us out of a layer of goose! :tongue:

16. Jun 27, 2005 #15

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not entirely sure about the goose, but we definitely don't call it Turducken. It's got a much nicer name. But when I've seen it, it's had at least 4 different birds in it.

Perhaps I'll be the first to do it with large animals...

17. Jun 27, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here it's something primarily cooked in the south. It might be prepared differently than what you get there, but folks in the south are good at giving odd names to things anyway. When I move to WV, one of the guys I know who works there makes it for the holidays, so I'll have to worm my way into an invite to try it. :biggrin:

Hope you have a big roasting pan. :rofl:

18. Jun 27, 2005 #17

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about a monstrous fire in the garden, with some form of spit roast going on?

Danger, don't you dare...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?