Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buffer solution type problems

1. Jul 16, 2012 #1
    I have a somewhat decent understanding of what a buffer is (stops an acid/base from changing the pH so dramatically), but when it comes to problems involving them, I am flat out lost and I haven't been so frustrated before. What is there to know about these types of questions, like what will the pH be if you add xx mL of whatever to a buffer solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

The simplest (and in most cases good enough) approach is to just assume reaction (be it neutralization of the acid or protonation of the conjugate base) proceeded to the end, calculate new concentrations of the acid and its conjugate base, and plug both values into Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

Actually you don't have to calculate concentrations, just numbers of moles. But as long as you don't feel confident, it is better to follow the well beaten path.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook