1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buffer solution

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the initial buffer pH is 4.45, what is the pH when 1.00 mL NaOH is added to 35 mL of water?
    Also, if 0.0 mL NaOH is added, what is the pH then?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea how to do this...all i can think of is to change the pH to [H+] and add the moles of that with the moles formed by NaOH (i tried using OH and using its pOH and finding the pH and converting back to H+) but when i add them together and divide by the total volume it's wrong...supposedly the measured pH for the addition of 1.00 ml is 11.14 and for the 0.00 added it's 4.73..thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You are not given buffer concentration, nor buffer type? Then there is no answer to this question.

This one is easier. Once you add 0.0 mL of a strong base, pH doesn't change. But I suppose that's just a typo :smil:

4. Apr 19, 2009 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Problem description is incomplete. Are you trying to solve a general problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook