1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buffer Solutions

1. Nov 29, 2004 #1
    I am very stuck on this question and I am hoping someone can help me with this. We did this in lab and mine did not come out right, but I still have to turn it in and my lab teacher said to figure it out!
    Buffer solutions using a cabbage dye indicator:
    Which of these is a buffered solution after the addition of 5 drops of HCl, 10 drops HCl:
    distilled water (I think no?)
    0.1 M NaCl
    pH 12 buffer
    pH 2 buffer

Which if these is a buffered solution after 5 drops NaOH, 10 drops NaOH:
    juice(pH around 4.5)
    soda(pH around 3)
    pH 12 buffer
    pH 2 buffer

I know this is a loaded question, but I can't figure out which ones...HELP!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi pinky, a buffer is a solution that contains a mixture of acids and bases.. if an acid or base is added to the solution the pH won't change. If you add a solution to a buffer outside it's buffering range, the buffer will loose it's power.

So thinking of that, which do you think the correct answer will be to your own question? Hint: what is the approximate pH of HCl and NaOH?

4. Nov 29, 2004 #3
    HCl is a pH 2 and NaOH is about pH-13-14 right? So, pH 2 is a buffer solution when HCl is added and not when NaOH is right? The rest I am still lost on!?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?