1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buffer solutions

1. Jul 5, 2016 #1

TT0

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 5.01.31 PM.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    From what I know, to make buffer solutions you need a weak acid or base and it's salt. Non of the options has this. What am I missing?

Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What is left after the reaction?

4. Jul 6, 2016 #3

TT0

For reaction 1, the products are: Cl-, NH4+, NH3, H+ (as HCl is strong acid while ammonia is weak base)
    For reaction 2, the products are: Na+, H2O, NO2- (NaOH is strong while nitrous acid is weak. No HNO2 because the H+ will react to form water so equilibrium will shift to the right in equilibrium HNO2 → H+ + NO2-)
    For reaction 3, the products are: NH3, NH4+, HNO2, NO2- (both are weak)

Reaction 3 is probably creates a buffer solution as they can accept or donate protons and the equilibrium will shift.
    If acid was added to reaction 2, the NO2- will turn to nitrous acid but if base was added, nothing will happen, so not a buffer solution.
    If acid was added to reaction 1, the equilibrium NH3 + H+ ↔ NH4+ will shift to the right and if base was added, the equilibrium will shift to the left so it is a buffer solution.

Answer is D.

Are my explanations correct?

Cheers!

5. Jul 6, 2016 #4

Borek

Nope, you need a comparable amounts of conjugate acid and base for the buffer to exist.

6. Jul 8, 2016 #5

TT0

I see, I change my mind on reaction 2. There will be around 0.5 M of HNO2 and NO2- so it will be a buffer solution. So then the answer is E?

Cheers!

7. Jul 9, 2016 #6

Borek

What is present after the reaction in the 3rd mixture?

8. Jul 12, 2016 #7

TT0

NH3, NH4+, HNO2, NO2-

9. Jul 12, 2016 #8

Borek

In what (approximate at least) concentrations?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted