1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buffer Systems

1. Apr 12, 2005 #1
    Here's my question:

State whether each of the following solutions is a buffer system or not.

a) KH2PO4/H3PO4
    H3PO4 is a weak acid
    H2PO4- is the conjugate base derived from the salt
    thus, this is a buffer system

b) NaClO4/HClO4
    not a buffer system b/c HClO4 is a strong acid

c) NH3/NH4N03
    not really sure about this one?
    NH3 is the base and NH4NO3 is the acid, i suppose
    but I'm not sure how to determine the relative strength/weakness of these.

Could someone tell me whether these are correct or not? And please help me with part c?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2005 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

a, b OK.

c - it is a buffer. pKb for ammonia is 4.75 IIRC so the pKa is 9.25 - for the reaction

NH4+ <-> NH3 + H+

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  4. Apr 12, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

NH4NO3, by itself, is a salt and NH3 (or NH4OH) is the conjugate base derived from it.

Edit : Oops ! Didn't see Borek's post. Nevermind.

5. Apr 15, 2005 #4
    NH4N03 is weakly acidic and partially dissociates because NH4 itself is a weak electrolyte, remembering that NH3 is a weak base. Therefor [c] is also a buffer system.

6. Apr 15, 2005 #5
    You need to use the Henderson Hasselbalch equation to find the pH of a buffer solution. There are two similar forms of the equation for acidic and basic buffers. Thats how you can determine the strength (if you call it so) of a particular solution.

If you have an acid and its conjugate base, the buffer solution is called an acidic buffer. If you have a base and its conjugate acid, the buffer solution is called a basic buffer. As a base and its conjugate acid bear conjugate relationship, this is not really a great way to say it. However, buffers like ammonia/ammonium salt (nitrate, chloride etc) are basic buffers as ammonia for all practical purposes is an extremely weak acid and a strong base.

Cheers
    Vivek

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?