Mastering Buffon's Coin Algebra with Simple Algebraic Problem Solving Techniques

• Thread starter musicgold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses a quadratic equation involving the quantities L and L-2r. The solution is derived and the interpretation of the second root is discussed, concluding that only the positive solution is physically meaningful.
musicgold
Homework Statement
This is not a homework problem. I am stuck
Relevant Equations
The attached picture shows the figure and the equation I am trying to solve.
I seem to have stuck with this simple algebra problem.$$ \frac {(L - 2.r)^2 } { L^2} = 1/2 $$
$$ 2( L^2 + 4r^2 - 4rL) = L^2 $$
$$ L^2 + 8 r^2 - 8r L = 0 $$
$$ (L - 2 \sqrt 2 r )^2 = 8rL - 4\sqrt 2. rL $$
$$ (L - 2 \sqrt 2 r )^2 = 4rL. (2 -\sqrt 2) $$

I don't know how to proceed from here to get
$$ L = ( 4 + 2\sqrt 2 ) . r $$

Attachments

• IMG_20201006_0546119[1].jpg
    IMG_20201006_0546119[1].jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
musicgold said:
$$ L^2 + 8 r^2 - 8r L = 0 $$
Isn't that a quadratic equation in ##L##?

Likes musicgold
PeroK said:
Isn't that a quadratic equation in ##L##?
Ah! I missed the forest for the trees. Thanks.

BTW, how should one interpret the second root of the eqaution?
$$ L = (4 - 2\sqrt 2 ). r$$

musicgold said:
Ah! I missed the forest for the trees. Thanks.

BTW, how should one interpret the second root of the eqaution?
$$ L = (4 - 2\sqrt 2 ). r$$
Well, ##L## must be greater than ##2r##.

There was an easier way to do this. You have:
$$(L-2r)^2 = \frac 1 2 L^2 \ \Rightarrow \ L - 2r = \frac L {\sqrt 2}$$

PeroK said:
$$ \ L - 2r = \frac L {\sqrt 2}$$

Not sure how to derive a conclusion from this statement.
It is saying as long as L is greater than 2r, ## \frac {L}{ \sqrt2} ## is a postive number, right?

I think it's just the same thing basically. You know that L > 0 and L > 2r, so that's the only version of the square roots that line up (or you can take the negative of both sides).

Likes musicgold
musicgold said:
Not sure how to derive a conclusion from this statement.
It is saying as long as L is greater than 2r, ## \frac {L}{ \sqrt2} ## is a postive number, right?
1) We start with a physical problem where some things are positive numbers. In this case ##L## and ##L - 2r##.

2) We set up a quadratic equation involving these quantities.

3) We take the solution that meets the physical constraint of positivity.

Sometimes the additional solutions mean something, but not in this case. There is no sense in a negative ##L##.

Likes musicgold

1. What is Buffon's Coin Algebra?

Buffon's Coin Algebra is a mathematical concept developed by the French mathematician Georges-Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon, in the 18th century. It involves solving algebraic problems using coins and their relative positions on a grid.

2. How can I master Buffon's Coin Algebra?

Mastery of Buffon's Coin Algebra requires a strong understanding of basic algebraic principles and problem-solving techniques. It also involves practice and familiarity with different coin arrangements and their corresponding algebraic equations.

3. Can simple algebraic problem-solving techniques be used to solve complex Buffon's Coin Algebra problems?

Yes, simple algebraic problem-solving techniques can be applied to solve even the most complex Buffon's Coin Algebra problems. These techniques include identifying patterns, using substitution and elimination, and breaking down a problem into smaller, more manageable steps.

4. How can Buffon's Coin Algebra be applied in real-life situations?

Buffon's Coin Algebra can be used to solve a variety of real-life problems, such as determining the probability of an event occurring, calculating areas and volumes, and predicting outcomes in games of chance. It can also be applied in fields such as physics, economics, and computer science.

5. Are there any resources available to help me learn and improve my skills in Buffon's Coin Algebra?

There are many resources available, including textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems, that can help you learn and improve your skills in Buffon's Coin Algebra. You can also seek guidance from a math teacher or tutor for personalized instruction and feedback.