Buffon's Needle problem (Geo Prob)

• Thread starter nomi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Needle
In summary, the conversation discusses Buffon's Needle problem and how to solve question A, which involves approximating the shaded area by calculating the area for 1,000 little rectangles. The conversation also mentions using an EXCEL model to calculate the probability for a practical application of Buffon's Needle when the length of the needle is greater than the distance between the lines.
nomi
http://www.mste.uiuc.edu/reese/buffon/buffon.html#questions

can someone explain problem "A" for me please. this isn't for school or homework but just something that i don't understand and would like to know where I'm going wrong.

how would i go about solving question "A"?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no question A. Did you mean q.1?

EnumaElish said:
There is no question A. Did you mean q.1?
yes that's what i mean

It seems to me that q.1 is asking you to assume 1,000 needle drops with thetas distributed evenly between 0 and pi.

First, renormalize by multiplying all areas by 2/pi. After renormalization the area of the large rectangle is 1 and the shaded area is 2/pi. Prob{hit} = (2/pi)/1 = 2/pi as before.

Now you are to approximate the shaded area by calculating the area for 1,000 little rectangles. The 1st little rectangle has area 0. The 2nd has area = base x height x renormalization = (pi/1000) x sin(pi/1000)/2 x 2/pi = sin(pi/1000)/1000. The 3rd has area = (pi/1000) x sin(2pi/1000)/2 x 2/pi = sin(2pi/1000)/1000. The Nth has area = (pi/1000) x sin((N-1)pi/1000)/2 x 2/pi = sin((N-1)pi/1000)/1000.

Sum area = [tex]\right.\sum_{N=1}^{1000}\sin\left(\frac{(N-1)\pi}{1000}\right)\left/1000[/tex]

It seems to me like this sum area is the approximate 2/pi that the question is after. (This still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me because pi is parametric in the formula itself; so one must already assume an exact value for it before one can approximate it.)

I am working on a practical application of Buffon's Needle for when the length of the needle is greater than the distance between the lines.

I am looking for an EXCEL model to calculate the probability.

Thanking You in Advance.

What is Buffon's Needle problem?

Buffon's Needle problem, also known as the Geometrical Probability problem, is a mathematical problem that involves randomly dropping a needle onto a lined surface and calculating the probability of the needle crossing one of the lines.

Who created Buffon's Needle problem?

Georges-Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon, a French mathematician, created Buffon's Needle problem in the 18th century as a thought experiment to explore the concept of probability and geometric probability in particular.

What is the formula for Buffon's Needle problem?

The formula for Buffon's Needle problem is P = (2L)/(πD), where P is the probability of the needle crossing a line, L is the length of the needle, and D is the distance between the lines on the surface.

What is the significance of Buffon's Needle problem?

Buffon's Needle problem has significance in the fields of mathematics and physics as it provides a way to calculate the value of pi and has been used to simulate and study other probability problems. It also has practical applications in fields such as architecture and biology.

Is there a solution to Buffon's Needle problem?

Yes, there is a solution to Buffon's Needle problem. Using the formula P = (2L)/(πD), we can calculate the probability of the needle crossing a line and use it to estimate the value of pi. However, the solution is only an approximation and becomes more accurate as the number of needle drops increases.