Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bug Bug maybe?

1. Apr 4, 2009 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been noticing this happening lately...I don't see threads until they are several hours old.

For example, this evening, at about 8:50, a new thread appeared (Calif woman gets 6 years for fatal texting crash). I clicked on it only to find there were already ~12 posts in it, and that it had started around noon my time. I've been on several times off and on today, but this is the first I've seen this thread.

Makes me think, how many threads am I missing altogether?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2009 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sometimes when I've been off the site and I come back on it appears as it did the first time I'd been on that day until I refresh. I don't know exactly what you're doing when you come back on the site lisa, but perhaps that is a possibility?

4. Apr 20, 2009 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK so it happened again today...I was on and off PF all day when I was at work. But when I got home, I saw this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=308392

But I had not seen that all day, not until I got home, hours after was started.

Any ideas?

5. Aug 11, 2009 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Again today, with the the "How long will people continue to talk about Michael Jackson?" thread. (Btw I don't give a rip about MJ, it just happened on that thread :yuck:).

I was on PF several times at work, then several more at home...there was no MJ thread, I'd have noticed it, believe me. Finally I saw it at 8:22 (Pacific time), when it was many hours old. At work I use IE, at home I use Chrome.

And I refresh quite often. But more often I get timed out, and I have to sign in again...I've assumed that's the same as refreshing.

In any case, I do both, refreshing and re-signing in, several times through the day. Yet I sometimes don't see new threads until they're several hours old, with lots of posts already...I have no idea how many I never see.

Any ideas?

6. Aug 11, 2009 #5
    27. Altogether, you've missed 27 threads.

:biggrin:

7. Aug 12, 2009 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Does this happen on two different machines, running different internet browsers?

8. Aug 12, 2009 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes...is it just me :cry:?

9. Aug 12, 2009 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It certainly sounds a little strange. If it was one machine, I'd say do the usual (clear cookies etc. etc.), but I'm not sure this will help in this case. Maybe when you switch from one machine to the other you should use the "log out" which should clear all these things.

Say if you click on get posts > new posts, are the posts that you get in the list from the last few minutes, or from hours ago?

10. Aug 12, 2009 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It could be something to do with how the browser is set up. If I remember correctly IE has an option where it will just load what is cached until the window is closed and the website accessed again.

11. Aug 12, 2009 #10

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ahh yes, that could be true. Unfortunately (well, fortunately really!), I don't have a windows machine so can't check either IE or chrome.

12. Aug 12, 2009 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks like I get an updated list. I'll start checking 'new posts' frequently to see if that will work.

13. Aug 12, 2009 #12

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps try this. In IE 7, select Tools > Internet Options > General > Browsing history > Settings > Check for newer versions of stored pages, and see if "Never" is selected. If so, change this to "Automatically," or perhaps "Every time I visit the webpage." Press OK > OK. Restart your browser.

14. Aug 12, 2009 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I get to work tomorrow, I'll do that...thanks a bunch, nvn :smile:!

15. Aug 13, 2009 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Just out of curiosity, are both machines on the same internet service provider? It could be that they're having technical glitches if so.
    The closest that I've ever come to this problem is that threads with new posts since I'd last seen them used to show up with bolded titles. Now only some of them do. A minor nuisance at worst.

16. Aug 13, 2009 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only problem I've been having lately (other than buttons that show up as text until I mouse over them) is that when I read a single thread on a forum, when I return to the thread index page, everything is marked as if I've read it already...or everything but one or two threads...even when there were a dozen or so threads with unread posts when I first opened the page. It makes it a lot easier to miss new threads when they are not bolded as new threads or threads with new posts. Maybe that's what's happening to you too, that some new threads aren't showing up as new, so you don't notice them until finally they appear in bold again.

17. Sep 15, 2009 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dang :grumpy:. It happened again today, with the thread "Archeomagnetic Jerks & Abrupt Climate Change". And I *know* I checked that forum several times today, both at home and at work.

I'm 99% certain that it wasn't just not bold, but that it didn't show at all. But I've also experienced what Danger and Moonie mentioned, new threads or threads with new posts that don't show up as bold.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook