1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bug on band

1. May 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An infinitely stretchable rubber band has one end nailed to a wall, while the other end is pulled away from the wall at the rate of 1 m/s; initially the band is 1 meter long. A bug on the rubber band, initially near the wall end, is crawling toward the other end at the rate of 0.001 cm/s. Will the bug ever reach the other end? If so, when?

2. Relevant equations
    Differential ones!

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved this one in what I think is a sort of novel way. I imagine that we are viewing the situation in a "stretching" frame--as if we view the stretching band with a camera and we continuously zoom out to keep the image of the band on the film exactly 1 meter wide. Then, the velocity of the bug on the film is described by

[tex]v_{bug\,in\,frame} = \frac{l_0}{l} v_{bug\,0}[/tex]

where [itex]l_0[/itex] is the initial length of the band, [itex]l[/itex] is the length of the band as a function of time, and [itex]v_{bug\,0}[/itex] is the initial velocity of the bug as seen on the film (which is the same as the real velocity, 1E-5 m/s).

In effect, the 'image on the film' becomes a representation for the fraction of the band traversed by the bug.

So, using the information given in the problem, this equation becomes

[tex]v_{bug\,in\,frame} = \frac{1}{1+t} 1 \times 10^{-5}[/tex]

which we can integrate with respect to time to find the x position of the bug on the film:

[tex]\int v\,dt = \int \frac{1}{1+t} 1 \times 10^{-5}\,dt[/tex]

[tex]x = 1 \times 10^{-5} \ln(1+t)[/tex]

When x = 1, the bug has reached the end of the band:

[tex]1 = 1 \times 10^{-5} ln(1+t)[/tex], and with a little algebra,

[tex]t = e^{100000} - 1[/tex].

My original plan, however, was to use the following differential equation to describe the actual distance of the bug from the wall:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{x}{l} v_{end} + v_{bug}[/tex]

where [itex]l[/itex] (which is 1+t) is a function of t that describes the length of the band, [itex]v_{end}[/itex] is the velocity of the end of the band (dl/dt=1 m/s) and [itex]v_{bug}[/itex] is the velocity of the bug by itself (1E-5 m/s). But I didn't know how to solve this differential equation (I haven't taken a diff eq course yet and separation of variables won't work). I'm wondering--is there a general solution to this form of DE?
    Last edited: May 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2007 #2
    I think I can solve it, providing I have understood what you wrote in the right way.

This is what I think your differential equation is:
    [itex]\frac{dx}{dt} - \frac{x}{1+t} = 1 \times 10^{-5}[/itex]

This is a differential equation of the form
    [itex]\frac{dx}{dt} + P x = Q [/itex]

where P and Q are functions of t.

The way to solve this is as follows. Notice that, if we multiply through by [itex]\frac{1}{1+t}[/itex], we will end up with

[itex]\frac{1}{1+t} \frac{dx}{dt} - \frac{x}{(1+t)^2} = \frac{1 \times 10^{-5}}{1 + t}[/itex]

The LHS of this equation is what you get when you differentiate [itex]\frac{x}{1+t}[/itex] w.r.t. t. So you can then write

[itex]\frac{x}{1 + t} = \int \frac{1 \times 10^{-5}}{1+t} dt[/itex]

Which I think you can finish off from there. So if I have understood your original equation correctly, there is a general solution.
  4. Jun 2, 2007 #3
    Ah, beautiful. Thanks a lot dt19!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?