Will the Bug Reach the Other End of the Rubber Band?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an infinitely stretchable rubber band with one end nailed to a wall and the other end being pulled away at a constant rate. A bug on the band is crawling towards the other end at a much slower rate. The question is whether the bug will ever reach the other end and if so, when. The conversation includes a discussion of a novel way to solve the problem using a "stretching" frame and a differential equation. The expert summarizer provides a summary of the problem and the solution method, including the differential equation and the general solution.
gabee

Homework Statement

http://www.feynmanlectures.info/exercises/bug_on_band.html

bug.gif

An infinitely stretchable rubber band has one end nailed to a wall, while the other end is pulled away from the wall at the rate of 1 m/s; initially the band is 1 meter long. A bug on the rubber band, initially near the wall end, is crawling toward the other end at the rate of 0.001 cm/s. Will the bug ever reach the other end? If so, when?

Homework Equations

Differential ones!

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this one in what I think is a sort of novel way. I imagine that we are viewing the situation in a "stretching" frame--as if we view the stretching band with a camera and we continuously zoom out to keep the image of the band on the film exactly 1 meter wide. Then, the velocity of the bug on the film is described by

[tex]v_{bug\,in\,frame} = \frac{l_0}{l} v_{bug\,0}[/tex]

where [itex]l_0[/itex] is the initial length of the band, [itex]l[/itex] is the length of the band as a function of time, and [itex]v_{bug\,0}[/itex] is the initial velocity of the bug as seen on the film (which is the same as the real velocity, 1E-5 m/s).

In effect, the 'image on the film' becomes a representation for the fraction of the band traversed by the bug.

So, using the information given in the problem, this equation becomes

[tex]v_{bug\,in\,frame} = \frac{1}{1+t} 1 \times 10^{-5}[/tex]

which we can integrate with respect to time to find the x position of the bug on the film:

[tex]\int v\,dt = \int \frac{1}{1+t} 1 \times 10^{-5}\,dt[/tex]

[tex]x = 1 \times 10^{-5} \ln(1+t)[/tex]

When x = 1, the bug has reached the end of the band:

[tex]1 = 1 \times 10^{-5} ln(1+t)[/tex], and with a little algebra,

[tex]t = e^{100000} - 1[/tex].
My original plan, however, was to use the following differential equation to describe the actual distance of the bug from the wall:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{x}{l} v_{end} + v_{bug}[/tex]

where [itex]l[/itex] (which is 1+t) is a function of t that describes the length of the band, [itex]v_{end}[/itex] is the velocity of the end of the band (dl/dt=1 m/s) and [itex]v_{bug}[/itex] is the velocity of the bug by itself (1E-5 m/s). But I didn't know how to solve this differential equation (I haven't taken a diff eq course yet and separation of variables won't work). I'm wondering--is there a general solution to this form of DE?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I can solve it, providing I have understood what you wrote in the right way.

This is what I think your differential equation is:
[itex]\frac{dx}{dt} - \frac{x}{1+t} = 1 \times 10^{-5}[/itex]

This is a differential equation of the form
[itex]\frac{dx}{dt} + P x = Q [/itex]

where P and Q are functions of t.

The way to solve this is as follows. Notice that, if we multiply through by [itex]\frac{1}{1+t}[/itex], we will end up with

[itex]\frac{1}{1+t} \frac{dx}{dt} - \frac{x}{(1+t)^2} = \frac{1 \times 10^{-5}}{1 + t}[/itex]

The LHS of this equation is what you get when you differentiate [itex]\frac{x}{1+t}[/itex] w.r.t. t. So you can then write

[itex]\frac{x}{1 + t} = \int \frac{1 \times 10^{-5}}{1+t} dt[/itex]

Which I think you can finish off from there. So if I have understood your original equation correctly, there is a general solution.

Ah, beautiful. Thanks a lot dt19!

1. How does the bug move along the rubber band?

The bug moves by using its muscles to contract and expand its body, creating a wave-like motion that propels it forward along the rubber band.

2. Why does the bug move faster in some parts of the rubber band?

The speed of the bug is influenced by the elasticity and tension of the rubber band. In areas where the rubber band is more stretched, the bug will move faster due to the increased tension and potential energy.

3. Can the bug reach the other end of the rubber band?

Yes, the bug can reach the other end of the rubber band as long as there is enough tension and elasticity in the band to support its movement.

4. How does the shape of the rubber band affect the bug's movement?

The shape of the rubber band can impact the bug's movement by altering the tension and elasticity of the band. A straight, taut band will provide more consistent movement for the bug while a curved or twisted band may cause the bug to change direction or slow down.

5. Does the size of the bug affect its ability to travel along the rubber band?

Generally, the size of the bug does not have a significant impact on its ability to travel along the rubber band. However, larger bugs may require more tension and elasticity in the rubber band to support their weight and movement.