Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bugs gone wild

1. Jul 31, 2006 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

New finds from (aquatic) microbial cataloguing studies show that there's way more kinds of bacterial life in seawater than previously estimated.

Couldn't easily find the original source. Maybe it's not made it's way out yet?

Related article :
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Great information gokul!
  4. Aug 2, 2006 #3
    Cool article! I just want to make sure, if I'm missing something, how is that related article, well, related? :smile:

It says that the researchers found more archaea than bacteria in sediments, which I find interesting, because in intro-biology I wasn't taught that there was a difference. I remember learning that all eukaryotes were basically called bacteria and that there were some called "archaebacteria," but that's it. We focused on the eukaryotic/prokaryotic distinction.

The BBC article on the other hand doesn't mention archaea.

Also, here's an interesting Wiki article I found while trying to learn more. It looked like this distinction was controversial for a little while.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  5. Aug 3, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most textbook don't change and alot of Prof don't want to change. My intro the micro prof did not like the new classification system because it uses DNA sequence rather than morphology and physiology of organism.

The eukaryotes and prokaryotes is still used because most people are ignorant of the work by Woese et al. or argue for the dichonomy system (i.e. Ford Doolittle) and there still is argument about it

I made a review of Woese theory
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?