1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a betatron

1. Feb 20, 2009 #1
    I'm trying to build a betatron with the electron gun from a television.

What do you think would be the best material for the tube of the electron gun?

Also, do the electrons need to be accelerated further after being emitted from the electron gun, or do I just need to guide it with coils if the distance they need to travel isn't very large?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Whether you accelerate them more depends on what energy you are trying to acheive.

How are you pulling your vacuum? Have you worked with high vacuum and high voltage before? In what projects? You realize that you are working with pretty dangerous stuff, right? What precautions are you taking in your setup? Do you know what energies will start to involve an X-ray hazard? What kind of lab do you have, or are you doing this in your apartment/dorm?

4. Feb 21, 2009 #3
    I know it's dangerous, but I'm not sure at what point the X-rays are a hazard. Would a dose rate up to 0.5 Gy/min be dangerous?

If I didn't accelerate the particles any further, but only turned them so they move in a circle, would the initial energies from the electron gun be enough to produce harmful X-rays?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook