1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a Capacitor

1. Feb 29, 2016 #1
    Hi! I have to build a capacitor out of the following materials: 10 square feet of aluminum foil, 10 square feet of saran wrap (polyvinyl chloride), several sheets of paper, and tape to put it all together. I will only have about 30 minutes to manufacture my design. I have been researching capacitors and so far the best one I have come across using my given materials is a rolled capacitor. Is this accurate? Or is there a better one I have not come across? For this rolled capacitor I would probably only use the foil as my conductor and the saran wrap as my dielectric because, to my knowledge, it has a much higher dielectric strength than paper. The reason I am second guessing my design is because it does not use one of my given materials, paper. Is there a way i could work this in? Or a different design that uses all of my materials? Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2016 #2
    I have decided on the rolled capacitor, but now I have more questions. How much spacing should leave around the edges of the foil on the saran wrap to avoid arcing? Is one inch sufficient? Also, I saw something about using a nonconductor like glass or plastic as a mandrel to lay in the center and roll up in the capacitor. Would a paper roll work well as this? Thanks again!

4. Mar 1, 2016 #3

Tom.G

Science Advisor

One inch border should be fine. The plastic wrap would probably punch thru long before you reach a voltage to flashover two inches!
    An additional way to use the paper is as an outer covering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook