1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a dam

1. Mar 11, 2006 #1

I have one question about dams
    When building a dam with clay core you must prepare that core ( so the moisture would be optimal , geomechanical characteristics would be satisfied and that sort of things,don't have time to elaborate all)
    I have heard on lectures that there are two ways to prepare the core , to reach the required moisture
    1. First way is cone method ( knobby cone method or you say truncated cone method..English is not my mother tongue so i have bit problems translating these)
    2. The other way is , as our prof. translated -> method of Rice Fields
    Now, my problem is , that i can't find anywhere about this rice fields method and i don't have it explained in book.
    does anyone recall something like this, maybe you call it different way on English (you probably do!) so i can then search the net to see what exactly that is

Thank you all in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you tried translating the name your proffessor given from your mother tounge to english using google translate? That may give you a better idea.
  4. Mar 11, 2006 #3

unfortunately there is no option there for my language (Bosnian) :(
    i am hoping someone will know what i am talking about and give me the right word in English , usually when translating technical words they use word closest to the language and rarely the exact translation
  5. Mar 18, 2006 #4

so any of you guys know this???
    i would really appreciate all help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?