Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a hovercraft

1. Apr 15, 2004 #1
    I am looking into building a hovercraft, but i have virtually no idea where to begin. I could use a bit of help. Perhaps something that uses magnets...
    Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2004 #2
  4. Apr 15, 2004 #3
    I'm sorry, I didn't specify. I want to build a small, remote-controlled, low-speed, levitating machine. maybe these specifications will give me more results.
    Thank you for any help.

5. Apr 17, 2004 #4

Cliff_J

Science Advisor

There are small toy hovercrafts for sale as well, sounds like a fit from your description. Its all about the cushion of air, if you have a powerful enough fan you don't even need to skirt to assist (like a helicopter or Harrier jump jet) but now may need some stability system to control pitch/yaw/roll.

Unless you have a special track and lots of high-speed electronics, a mag-lev system like some of the experimental trains is not going to work for a highly mobile vehicle.

Cliff

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?