Building A Light Curtain?

In summary: Not specifically in IR or light curtains.In summary, multiple IR transmitters and receivers are needed to cover a 4ftx2ft area. A timing circuit may be a better option then buying separate transmitters and receivers. And depending on the application, different frequencies may be better then using a timing circuit.
Torched
http://www.machineguardsolutions.com/images/lightcurtain2.jpg

A light curtain seems like a basic communication system setup (TX & RX).
But what kind of signal are you trying to send and receive? How should the receiving end get processed?
How do you deal with crosstalk from using multiple transmitters and receivers?
What is the best way to deal with aligning the IR transmitters and receivers?
How far of a distance can IR leds transmit?

I don't know much about IR technology as well as this particular application. So, any information or direction on the topic would be greatly appreciated. Book, articles, anything. I've been trying to search the internet but I am having a hard time finding material.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Torched said:
http://www.machineguardsolutions.com/images/lightcurtain2.jpg

A light curtain seems like a basic communication system setup (TX & RX).
But what kind of signal are you trying to send and receive? How should the receiving end get processed?
How do you deal with crosstalk from using multiple transmitters and receivers?
What is the best way to deal with aligning the IR transmitters and receivers?
How far of a distance can IR leds transmit?

I don't know much about IR technology as well as this particular application. So, any information or direction on the topic would be greatly appreciated. Book, articles, anything. I've been trying to search the internet but I am having a hard time finding material.

Thanks.

Welcome to the PF. Here's a basic intro article (pretty light on technical details):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_curtain

I didn't realize there are some published standards for light curtains. I guess because they are sometimes used for protecting users against dangerous machinery.

And an example of a LC manufacturer (you probably already found this one):

http://www.lightcurtain.com/light_curtian-selection.html

In general, you would time multiplex the rows of the LC, to give you better spatial separation. Maybe spend 10ms per row or something. You'd also pulse modulate the IR transmission signals, probably at about the same frequency as IR remote controls (39kHz? I may not be remembering that right, but it's easy to check). You do that for ambient noise rejection.

You can also add collimation optics in the IR, so that you are using the energy from your IR emitting LEDs the most efficiently. What LEDs and receiver circuits are you planning on using? What is the application? What is your background?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. Here's a basic intro article (pretty light on technical details):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_curtain

I didn't realize there are some published standards for light curtains. I guess because they are sometimes used for protecting users against dangerous machinery.

And an example of a LC manufacturer (you probably already found this one):

http://www.lightcurtain.com/light_curtian-selection.html

In general, you would time multiplex the rows of the LC, to give you better spatial separation. Maybe spend 10ms per row or something. You'd also pulse modulate the IR transmission signals, probably at about the same frequency as IR remote controls (39kHz? I may not be remembering that right, but it's easy to check). You do that for ambient noise rejection.

You can also add collimation optics in the IR, so that you are using the energy from your IR emitting LEDs the most efficiently. What LEDs and receiver circuits are you planning on using? What is the application? What is your background?

Thanks for the reply, berkeman. Sorry, for the late response I have been busy with school.

36kHz is typically used for remote control applications. (Anywhere from 30-60kHz)

I have yet to pick out the IR transmitter and receiver circuits because I have never dealt with IR before. So I've been trying to read up, and see if it will work with the application that I had in mind.

The overall project is an automated greenhouse (control lights, temps, moister, ect.), the light curtain should be mounted a 1 ft below a series of 4ft fluorescent bulbs. The idea is whenever the IR light curtain gets triggered due to the plant's growth, the lighting rig will adjust keeping that fixed distance of 1 ft. between the fluorescent and the plant.

The issue is the need for multiple IR transmitters and receivers that will cover a 4ftx2ft area. I figured it should be generally easy to setup on the receiving end using a basic summing amplifier that is fed into an integrator circuit. But then can that same concept be applied with time division multiplexing? That means the receiving end will only be seeing only one of the many transmitters for a certain time interval, does that mean I should be basing my response off of the single receiver. Also, would it be better to buy transmitters and receivers that operate at different frequencies vs. creating a timing circuit for each transmitter and receiver?

Also, my background is that of an electrical engineering student with a basic mix of theory and some simple applications.

1. What is a light curtain and how does it work?

A light curtain is a safety device used in industrial settings to protect workers from hazardous machinery. It consists of a transmitter and receiver unit that emit and detect an array of infrared light beams. When any of these beams are interrupted, the light curtain sends a signal to the machine to stop its operation, preventing accidents and injuries.

2. What are the benefits of using a light curtain instead of other safety devices?

Light curtains offer several advantages over traditional safety devices such as physical barriers or emergency stop buttons. They provide a non-intrusive and easily adjustable barrier, allowing for quick and easy access to the machinery. They also offer a higher level of protection as they cover the entire area between the transmitter and receiver, leaving no gaps for a worker to accidentally reach through.

3. How do you select the right light curtain for a specific application?

Choosing the right light curtain depends on several factors, including the type of machinery, the size of the work area, and the safety requirements. It is important to consider the number and spacing of the beams, the response time, and the safety category of the light curtain. It is also essential to consult with safety experts and follow industry standards and regulations.

4. How do you properly install and maintain a light curtain?

The installation of a light curtain should be done by a trained and experienced professional following the manufacturer's instructions. It is important to ensure that the transmitter and receiver units are properly aligned and that there are no obstructions or reflective surfaces that could interfere with the beams. Regular maintenance and testing are also crucial to ensure the proper functioning of the light curtain.

5. Can a light curtain be used in outdoor or harsh environments?

Yes, there are specific light curtains designed for outdoor or harsh environments that offer features such as weatherproofing, resistance to extreme temperatures, and protection against dust and water. However, it is important to consult with the manufacturer and follow their recommendations to ensure the light curtain can withstand the specific conditions of the application.