Building a Motor: Simple Instructions & Tips

In summary, the conversation is about building motors in a class project. The speaker is looking for instructions for building a simple motor using wire, batteries, and magnets. They share some links for instructions, but mention that the first one may not work for them. They also mention the need for thin wire and ask for advice on removing insulation.
Lemonio
so my class is going to build motors tomorrow, and we will have about an hour to build a simple motor, and we are supposed to find instructions for building a motor. Can someone give me instructions for building a simple motor, probably with wire, batteries and magnets, and other materials should be simple ones i should have.

i need simple instructions for a simple motor. i found this one,
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~palmer/motor.html
but if you think it is good, or have simpler or better ones please say so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
well the first one doesn't work for me. i forgot to say, but it can't be a homopolar motor or whatever it means so i can't just do the first one. i already found the first and second but, second needs supplies and first seems to be a little more complicated than the beakmens one

if my teacher has very thin wires will i be able to take off the insulation?

you can use fine sandpaper. Just make sure the wire is stiff enough to support the winding.

1. How do I choose the right materials for building a motor?

The most important materials for building a motor include a power source (such as a battery), magnets, copper wire, and a coil. When selecting these materials, make sure they are of good quality and suitable for the size and type of motor you plan to build.

2. What tools do I need to build a motor?

You will need basic tools such as pliers, wire cutters, and a screwdriver. Depending on the type of motor, you may also need a drill, soldering iron, or hot glue gun. It is important to have all necessary tools on hand before starting the building process.

3. How do I assemble the motor parts?

The first step is to create a base for your motor using a sturdy material such as wood or plastic. Then, attach the magnets to the base and create a coil by wrapping the copper wire around a cylindrical object. Place the coil between the magnets and attach it to a power source. Finally, secure all the parts in place and test the motor.

4. Can I make adjustments to improve the motor's performance?

Yes, you can make several adjustments to improve your motor's performance. For example, you can change the number of coils, adjust the placement of magnets, or increase the voltage of the power source. Experimenting with these adjustments can help you achieve a more efficient and powerful motor.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take while building a motor?

Yes, it is important to always wear protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses when handling materials and using tools. Additionally, make sure to work in a well-ventilated area and disconnect the power source before making any adjustments or repairs to the motor.