Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a Particle Accelerator

1. Dec 5, 2003 #1
    Can anyone give me a link to or information about how to build a PRACTICAL particle accelerator? Like one that would fit inside a basement or garage? Please, no handhelds that cant do much, and no mile-long underground accelerators that require their own nuclear power plant. I am interested in knowing how they are built, and (possibly) to build one myself for research. Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2003 #2
  4. Dec 11, 2003 #3
    are there any sites with clear, consie directions and plans, materials lists, etc. for dummies with little electric experience? those are more of a book on how PA's work, not thier actual construction

5. Dec 11, 2003 #4
    No, not really. There are a few web pages by people who built their own particle accelerators, but they don't go into a lot of construction detail. It's not the sort of project that "dummies with little electric experience" tend to attempt.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook