1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a Penny Shooter

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    Hi,

First of all, I highly doubt this is in the correct forum so move it if necessary. I've been at this forum for a while although I never really bothered to post anything. The other day however, I decided that I wanted to build a penny shooter, or a gun that shoots penny's into maybe watermelons or items of that nature. The problem is that I am having trouble finding ways to accelerate the penny. A compressor would be too big, so my guess is that pressure is out of the deal. Any ideas from you guys?

-PoofyHair

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Try using a compressed spring, and see how much effective it is. It can be dangerous, though.

4. Oct 17, 2007 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You probably don't wan to start building one of these on your own http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinker.html but it is rather cool.

5. Oct 17, 2007 #4

Mk

Compressor? What about using CO2 cartridges?

6. Oct 17, 2007 #5
    How far do you think a spring would launch it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?