Build a Periscope - Get Help Now!

• Thread starter ChinToka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, the person is seeking help for building a small periscope with two input oculars and one output ocular. They are unsure if this is the correct place to ask for help. They provide some specific questions about the operation, application, and design of the periscope. They also mention seeking existing solutions for the problem and explain why those solutions may not be applicable.
ChinToka
Hi everyone!

Maybe i am in the wrong section, if so please put this where it belongs.

I am trying to built a very smal kind of periscope with two input oculars and one output ocular.
It should look like this:

unbenannt4nurx.jpg

I would really appreciate if someone can help me with this, thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It might help if you ask a question (specific or general) that someone can respond to.

First we need some answers so we can work out what help you need.

At what wavelength, or over what band of light will the periscope be required to operate ?

What is the application for this periscope ?
It appears to have three ocular lenses. Is the device bi-directional like part of a laser range finder ?
What external range of focal lengths do you require ?
What is the physical scale of the device ?

Do you know of any existing solutions to the problem ?
Why are those solutions not applicable ?

1. How does a periscope work?

A periscope works by using two mirrors to reflect light from one end to the other. The first mirror is placed at a 45 degree angle and reflects the light down the length of the periscope. The second mirror reflects the light at a 90 degree angle, allowing the user to see the object above the periscope without having to directly look at it.

2. What materials do I need to build a periscope?

You will need two small mirrors, a cardboard tube or box, tape, scissors, and a ruler. You can also use other materials such as aluminum foil, a plastic container, or a paper towel roll for the tube.

3. Can I adjust the angle of the mirrors in a periscope?

Yes, you can adjust the angle of the mirrors to change the viewing direction of the periscope. By changing the angles of the mirrors, you can view objects in different directions without having to move the periscope itself.

4. How can I make my periscope stronger and more durable?

You can make your periscope stronger by using sturdier materials such as a plastic or wooden tube instead of cardboard. You can also reinforce the mirrors by attaching them with stronger adhesive or using brackets to hold them in place.

5. Can I use a periscope to see around corners?

Yes, you can use a periscope to see around corners by adjusting the angles of the mirrors. However, the periscope may not work effectively for sharp corners or tight spaces.