How to Position a Variable Resistor on a Stripboard for an Audio Pre-Amp?

In summary, the conversation was about building an audio pre-amp for an important test and requesting help with the circuit schematic and component placement. The conversation also touched on the concept of passive preamps and the use of SPICE for troubleshooting. It was also mentioned that LTspice may be a solution for running it on a Mac.
Aodhan
I have to build an audio pre-amp for an important test next week.

Attached is the circuit schematic and deliverables wanted.

I would appreciate anyone who could draw out the actual component placements
on the attached stripboard print.

R10 is a variable resistor in particular the placement of this component i find difficult.

Thank you

Attachments

• CA 2b - Audio Pre Amplifier.pdf
    208.6 KB · Views: 419
Physics news on Phys.org
Aodhan said:
I have to build an audio pre-amp for an important test next week.

Attached is the circuit schematic and deliverables wanted.

I would appreciate anyone who could draw out the actual component placements
on the attached stripboard print.

But this is largely your assignment. We should only give you pointers, here - not free homework, yes? (/;

Aodhan said:
R10 is a variable resistor in particular the placement of this component i find difficult.

Thank you

Your pdf indicates that the straight line which is part of the two-line icon for, "capacitor," corresponds with its positive leg (provided that we are dealing with polarized caps). This leg should be made to connect with what is known as the "wiper" of your variable resistor (or, potentiometer, or, attenuator, etc...). That arrow pointing at the center of the resistor (zig-zag) icon is normally meant to symbolize (the wiper of) a variable resistor (not "varistor"), or pot, in America I had thought (confirmed by Wackypackia, here:

(imagine link - need 10 posts or a bag of spells for this power))

. I should imagine that this is how variable amounts of gain are obtained from the preamp.

One bit of lore you might enjoy is that the term, "passive preamp," is used sometimes by those who are referring only to attenuation without even voltage buffering amps to isolate the attenuator's impedance (AC effects) on the transfer of voltage (communication). Purely passive volume controls (less has got to be more blameless?).
So, why not call these "passive preamps," since they are passive and they are in front of the amp?
The description I liked best was when my colleague pointed out that the preamplifier is an amplifier, itself, which is previous to the power amplifiers, downstream. Specifically, if it doesn't contain an amp, it can't be a preamp. It is not that it is merely a gain-change-capable device which is previous to amplification downstream, as it were. It must be, also, an amp. It taketh away - or it restoreth what [the signal] may lack [in signal, always with noise at no extra charge].

- Impov Thupperverz

Aodhan

I see what seems to be a major problem with the preamp circuit. The block diagram shows only a single connection between the microphone and the preamp. However the microphone really has two connections, signal and ground. The preamp circuit has no ground. To where are you to connect the microphone ground? There are solutions of course, but I suspect you are not allowed to change the circuit.

Before computers, the way I laid out circuit boards was to take quadruled paper (graph paper) and draw the pads of the components as seen from above leaving a lot of space between components. I would draw the connections between pads on one side of the board with red pencil and the traces on the other side of the board with a blue pencil. In subsequent passes, I shrank the space between the components and sometimes rearrange them to make the layout tighter.

There are some free student packages such as Orcad and PCExpress that will allow you to layout small circuits.

http://www.expresspcb.com/
http://ptf.com/orcad/orcad+student+version/index4.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for the help very much appreciated...I will look into everything again today and get back to you if that's ok with you? I believe the microphone diagram you are talking about is only a pictured example of the function of preamp but does not correspond to the actual schematic given.

In regards to the test my actual test is to get this circuit working and as you can see show gain and phase shift to my lecturer using signal generator,power supply,oscilliscope etc..

I am going to look into it more.I do have a photograph of this circuit that i had original built a few months ago yet did not work hopefully more light could be shed.

Thank you very much for your help so far and your quick reply.

Aodhan

Also there is a small part attached to this test regarding the use of P.Spice...unfortunatly i am using a mac and there is no such way for me to get P.spice as it is PC based.I do have access to computers with P.Spice and my actual understanding of how to build circuits on this is not how it is meant to be done and therefore didnt work for me.

I have attached this document with this reply.

Also the picture of my original pre amp some months back.

Thanks again...unfortunately tied up today in other matters so will not get a chance to sit down properly until later.

Very much appreciated.

Aodhan

Attachments

• CA 2a - Audio Pre Amplifier.pdf
    179.8 KB · Views: 379
  • Circuit 2 pic.jpg
    Circuit 2 pic.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 432
A good way to troubleshoot your circuit is to program your circuit into SPICE and compare voltages at the nodes between what SPICE calculates and what you measure. If you don't know SPICE, I strongly suggest you learn it.

http://www.filerex.com/get/windows/education/science/ltspice_iv.html
http://www.electronics-lab.com/downloads/schematic/013/

Last edited by a moderator:
Aodhan said:
Also there is a small part attached to this test regarding the use of P.Spice...unfortunatly i am using a mac and there is no such way for me to get P.spice as it is PC based.I do have access to computers with P.Spice and my actual understanding of how to build circuits on this is not how it is meant to be done and therefore didnt work for me.

I don't have a mac, but I've heard that LTSpice will run under something called "wine" on a mac. Google: LTspice for mac.

Thank you very much again Mesmer8,Skeptic 2 and gneill for your help all of it is sheding light on this circuit.In particular thanks to mesmer8 for clearing up the 'wiper' connection and related schematic symbol problem i had.very helpful.I will look into LTspice today as it is part of my project to build the circuit in P.spice and test relevant voltages.also to give me a better idea of the working of the circuit.

I will have a few more questions I am sure and thanks again for everything so far.

Aodhan

I have re-drawn the circuit onto the actual size of stripboard I will be using,The middle pin of R10 is the 'wiper'.

I would appreciate any feedback on this and if mistakes have been made.

The drawing is attached.

Thank you

Aodhan

Attachments

• 2nd rough plan posted.jpg
    2nd rough plan posted.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 424

1. What is a pre-amp circuit?

A pre-amp circuit is an electronic circuit used to amplify weak signals from a source such as a microphone, instrument, or audio device. It is typically used in audio equipment to boost the signal before it is sent to a power amplifier.

2. What are the components of a pre-amp circuit?

The main components of a pre-amp circuit include a power supply, input stage, gain stage, and output stage. The power supply provides the necessary voltage for the circuit to function. The input stage receives the weak signal and prepares it for amplification. The gain stage amplifies the signal to a desired level. The output stage sends the amplified signal to the power amplifier.

3. How do I choose the right pre-amp circuit for my needs?

Choosing the right pre-amp circuit depends on your specific needs and requirements. Consider factors such as the type of input signal, the desired level of amplification, and the type of output you need. It is also important to consider the quality and reputation of the pre-amp circuit manufacturer.

4. Can I build a pre-amp circuit myself?

Yes, it is possible to build a pre-amp circuit yourself if you have the necessary knowledge and skills in electronics. However, it is important to note that pre-amp circuits can be complex and require precise wiring and component selection. It is recommended to follow a detailed schematic and consult with an experienced individual if needed.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a pre-amp circuit?

When working with electronic circuits, it is important to take proper safety precautions. Make sure to work in a well-ventilated area and wear protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses. It is also important to disconnect the power supply and discharge any capacitors before handling any components. Follow all safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer and exercise caution when working with high voltages.