Building a Recoil Simulation Machine for Scope Testing

In summary: Thank you again for sharing your ideas with us.In summary, the forum member is planning to build a recoil simulator to test their company's equipment. They are seeking advice on what sensors to use, where to place them, and any necessary calculations for accurately measuring recoil forces. They also plan to average data from multiple shots to account for variability and want to ensure their scientific process is sound.
Sellmark
I work for a company that manufactures and sells night vision scopes, day time optics, lasers, and pretty much anything that mounts to a weapon. I wanted to test our equipment to see how well it holds up to various recoil of different weapons but ammunition is very expensive and it is very inefficient to go and test each product on every type of weapon. So my next idea is to build a simulator that offers the best and closest scenario to actually firing a weapon.

Here is where I am at. I am very good at mechanics and building stuff but its the theory that I am stuck on. I already have plans to build a pneumatic machine that has an accessory mount attached where I will place the units for testing. I understand that the recoil force is related to the weight and the amount of pressure being acted on that mass so the machine will be adjustable in that I can change the weight of the piston and the amount of air pressure acting on the piston therefore being able to simulate recoil force from any weapon. I am trying to make this as scientific as possible so that I can record the data in a standard format so that anyone can be able to do the same test. It has been about 10 years since I have taken physics and I am extremely rusty on the necessary calculations, ways to measure, best places to place sensors, what sensors to use, etc.. I need help!

My initial plan once I figure out what I need to measure and how to measure it I will do a 20 shot test on each caliber and weapon style (the expensive part), average my data, and get a data sheet built for the most popular weapons and calibers. I will then take this data and place the sensors on machine and build another data sheet that shows what weight the piston should be and what amount of air pressure is needed to reproduce the same recoil as the various weapons I tested. This way If I wanted to test a laser sight on an AR-15 for 500 rounds I would look at my data sheet and find out what pressure I need to charge the chamber to, and which piston I need to use for an AR15, set up the machine and fire it off 500 times.

So in conclusion what I need is what exactly to measure (for example, measure the force the rail where the scope mounts receives using a button sensor and a gun mount with the sensor placed on a stationary backing and the mount backed into the sensor?), where I would place the sensors to measure that and any formulas that may be required in conjunction with the data obtained from the sensors. Any help is appreciated and any critique of my scientific process is also welcomed. As I said I want this test to be able to be reproduced by anyone given the same equipment and instructions.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your project with us. I appreciate your dedication to creating a reliable and standardized method for testing your company's equipment. Your idea to build a recoil simulator is innovative and could potentially save time and resources in the long run.

In order to accurately measure the recoil force of different weapons, there are a few factors that you will need to consider. First, you will need to determine the appropriate sensors to use. For measuring force, a load cell or strain gauge could be suitable options. These sensors can be placed at the point where the weapon is mounted to the simulator, such as the accessory mount you mentioned. You may also want to consider using a high-speed camera to capture the motion and vibrations of the weapon during recoil.

Next, you will need to determine where to place the sensors. As you mentioned, one option could be to measure the force at the rail where the scope mounts. Additionally, you may want to consider placing sensors at other points on the weapon, such as the stock or barrel, to get a more comprehensive understanding of the recoil forces.

To calculate the recoil force, you will need to record the acceleration of the weapon during recoil. This can be done using the sensors mentioned above or by analyzing the high-speed camera footage. Once you have the acceleration data, you can use Newton's Second Law (F=ma) to calculate the force.

Another important aspect to consider is the variability in recoil forces between different shots. In order to account for this, you may want to take multiple measurements for each weapon and average them, as you mentioned in your initial plan.

In terms of your scientific process, it seems well thought out and organized. However, it may be beneficial to consult with a physics expert or conduct some research on previous studies on recoil forces to ensure that you are using the most accurate and appropriate methods for your project.

Overall, your project has great potential and I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. Please feel free to reach out with any further questions or updates on your progress.

1. How does a recoil simulation machine work?

A recoil simulation machine works by using a spring-loaded mechanism to mimic the recoil of a firearm. The machine is attached to the scope and the spring is activated by pulling a trigger, causing the scope to move and simulate recoil.

2. What is the purpose of a recoil simulation machine?

The purpose of a recoil simulation machine is to test the performance and durability of scopes by simulating the recoil experienced when firing a gun. This allows for accurate evaluation of the scope's ability to maintain zero and withstand the shock of recoil.

3. What factors should be considered when building a recoil simulation machine?

When building a recoil simulation machine, factors such as the strength and durability of the spring, the weight of the machine, and the design of the trigger mechanism should be taken into consideration. It is also important to ensure that the machine can be easily attached to different types of scopes for testing purposes.

4. How accurate are recoil simulation machines compared to actual recoil?

Recoil simulation machines can provide a fairly accurate representation of recoil, but they cannot fully replicate the exact recoil experienced from firing a gun. Factors such as the weight of the gun, type of ammunition, and other variables can affect the recoil and may not be fully simulated by the machine.

5. Are recoil simulation machines necessary for scope testing?

While not absolutely necessary, recoil simulation machines can provide more accurate and consistent results when testing scopes. They can also save time and resources by eliminating the need for actual gun firing. However, other methods of scope testing, such as using a recoil sled or manually adjusting the scope, can also be effective. Ultimately, the use of a recoil simulation machine will depend on the specific needs and preferences of the scientist conducting the testing.