Building a rocket with my friend from scratch

In summary, the conversation is about building a rocket and calculating the specific impulse of the rocket engine. The participants discuss the maximum weight the engine can lift off the ground and how to figure it out using the force of the engine and the acceleration due to gravity. It is mentioned that the force can be measured in Newtons or Pounds and the equation F=ma is used to calculate the weight of the rocket. The conversation ends with the participants thanking each other for their help.
Quantum_Prodegy
Hey everyone,

I'm building a rocket with my friend from scratch. I have calculated the specific impulse of the rocket engine that we have designed and it turned out to be around 235 Newton-seconds. I was wondering what the maximum weight of rocket this engine would get off the ground, and how to figure it out. If you need more information I probably have it I just don't know what information you will need. I'm a grade 11 student and haven't learned this kind of thing in school.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Given your units of Newton-seconds, did you mean that you calculated total impulse, not specific impulse?

well, to lif the whole rocket off the ground (meaning to accelerate it upward, even for the shortest possible time), at least some time during the rockets burn, preferably near the start, the force of the engine needs to be greater than the total weight of the rocket, otherwise, it won't go anywhere, so matter how big of a total impulse you have.
so in other words, what is the highest, peak, force that rocket engine will give you, then divide by the acceration due to gravity, and that will give the the absolute maximum mass the rocket can lift (and it won't go very high if you plan on maxing out the mass, techincally, if you do "max out" the mass, it won't go anywhere, because there the net force on the rokcet is zero and it is already at rest, so it will stay at rest).

ok, that makes a lot of sense. No, i don't plan on maxing out the mass of the rocket, I'm thinking now that overall it won't be more than 8 to 10 lbs. So...

acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s^2
is the force the mass of the rocket in kg?

depends on how you are measuring your force, in Newtons (my favorite), or Pounds of thrust?

if in Newtons, use g = 9.8 m/s^2, this will give you the weight of the rocket in kilograms

if in pounds, use g = 32 ft/s^2, this will give you the wieght of the rocket in pounds

F = m*a, where m is the mass of the rocket (either kg, or lb) and a is the acceleration of the rocket (either due to gravity or due to the rockets thrust).

1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds

my physics teacher would kill me iff she found out i had forgotten the F=ma equation already... :eek: xmas break wasn't THAT long.

hehehe, thanks for your help guys...don't know why i didn't remember that. :grumpy:

1. How do I begin building a rocket with my friend from scratch?

To begin building a rocket from scratch, it is important to first research the basics of rocket building and familiarize yourself with the necessary materials and tools. Then, create a detailed plan or blueprint of your rocket design and gather all necessary materials and supplies.

2. What materials do we need to build a rocket from scratch?

The materials needed to build a rocket from scratch will depend on the specific design and type of rocket you are building. However, some common materials include lightweight materials such as aluminum or carbon fiber for the body, a propulsion system such as an engine or solid fuel, and various tools and equipment for assembly.

3. How long does it take to build a rocket from scratch?

The time it takes to build a rocket from scratch can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the design and the skill level of the builders. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to complete a rocket build.

4. What safety precautions should we take while building a rocket from scratch?

Building a rocket from scratch can be a dangerous task, so it is important to take proper safety precautions. This includes wearing protective gear such as goggles and gloves, working in a well-ventilated area, and following all instructions and safety guidelines for handling and assembling rocket components.

5. Can we launch our homemade rocket after building it from scratch?

Yes, you can launch your homemade rocket after building it from scratch. However, it is important to follow all safety regulations and obtain any necessary permits before launching. It is also recommended to have a professional or experienced rocket builder supervise the launch to ensure safety and success.