Building a simple cosmic ray detector

In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of building a cosmic ray detector using a small rectangle with colored stripes to signal the path of muons. The process would involve two conductive plates connected to a battery and separated by a gas, which would be ionized by high energy particles to emit light and show the muon's path. The major challenge is finding the right materials, such as transparent conductors for the plates and a safe, low ionization energy gas that also emits colored light. Suggestions were made for materials, but further research is needed to determine the feasibility and accuracy of the detector.
valmancer
During a visit to CERN (more precisely:ATLAS) I got the idea of building a cosmic ray detector from the guide (who was a full time researcher there). The detector would look like a small rectangle with colored stripes going trough it about once a few seconds to signal the path of the muons (which I hear are the easiest to detect). I got a very general outline of how one would work from her.

The idea is to have two conductive plates connected to a battery and separated by a gas. When the high energy particles rush through the gas, they should ionize it, making it possible for a current to flow through the gas from one plate to another. This flow should supply the ions in the gas with energy to emit light and thus show the path of the muon. The process is similar to that of a Geiger-Müller tube. I see no problem with this concept, but please correct me if needed.

The major problem here is to find the right materials. I need a see through conductor to make the plates out of, because if it is opaque the whole device would be useless (you couldn't see the path of the ray through the plate). The gas is also a problem. It needs to be safe (as in not harmful to animals or humans), have a low enough ionization energy and emit a colored light when the exited atoms drop down an energy level after the spark.

So the question here are: "What are some materials I should look into?" and if the machine I've thought will work in real life.

PS. I'm not sure if this is the best place for this thread, please move it if it is not

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
.The materials you should look into for the plates are materials that are transparent conductors, such as indium tin oxide (ITO). For the gas, you should look into noble gases such as neon, argon, or krypton, as these have relatively low ionization energies. As for the feasibility of the device you have imagined, it is indeed possible to make a cosmic ray detector using this kind of technology. It is also possible to use other elements and compounds, as well as various detectors and techniques, to measure cosmic rays. However, depending on the accuracy and sensitivity you require, you may need to do some more research in order to determine the best material and techniques for your detector.

1. What is a cosmic ray detector?

A cosmic ray detector is a scientific instrument used to detect and measure high-energy particles and radiation that originate from outside the Earth's atmosphere, such as cosmic rays. These particles can provide valuable information about the composition and behavior of our universe.

2. How does a cosmic ray detector work?

A simple cosmic ray detector typically consists of two main components: a scintillator and a photomultiplier tube. The scintillator is a material that emits light when struck by a high-energy particle, and the photomultiplier tube detects and amplifies this light. When a cosmic ray particle enters the detector, it causes a flash of light that is then converted into an electrical signal and recorded.

3. What can be detected with a simple cosmic ray detector?

With a simple cosmic ray detector, you can detect and measure the flux and energy of cosmic ray particles. This can provide information about the types of particles present, their energy distribution, and the direction they are coming from. Additionally, cosmic ray detectors can also detect secondary particles produced by the interactions of cosmic rays with the Earth's atmosphere.

4. How can I build a simple cosmic ray detector?

Building a simple cosmic ray detector can be done using readily available materials and basic electronics knowledge. You will need a scintillator material, such as plastic or glass, a photomultiplier tube, and some type of data recording system. There are also many DIY tutorials and kits available online that can guide you through the building process.

5. What are the applications of a cosmic ray detector?

Cosmic ray detectors have a wide range of applications in different fields of science, such as astrophysics, particle physics, and atmospheric studies. They can help us better understand the origin and nature of cosmic rays, as well as their effects on our planet and the universe. They are also used in educational settings to teach students about the fundamentals of particle physics and radiation detection.