Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a simple mobile phone

1. Mar 11, 2010 #1
    I was searching about the possibility of building a simple mobile phone, but I found an old topic here indicating that this is pointless and hard.

Actually I want to make a mobile phone which only receives the incoming ring and vibrates.
    I am asking about the possibility of doing this ? It is all about my graduation project about home automation using mobile phone.

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. What do you know so far about the RF and signal processing aspects of cell phones? To do this on your own, you would need to understand what each wireless carrier does for their signal encoding. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that there is some security involved -- like, you'd need some code access to receive phone calls. You'd at least need a phone number issued by the particular carrier.

4. Mar 11, 2010 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An interesting project but it sounds very very large!
    Could you not approach the problem by just using a phone network to connect a single 'central' mobile phone plus modem plus PC to interpret the commands from your personal mobile(s)? You could then distribute your signals round the house with WiFi technology - all of which would be under your control and not a part of the phone service provider's domain. WiFi circuits are probably a lot easier to build and to interface with and you would not be treading on the toes of a phone company as you would be using the two mobiles quite conventionally.

5. Mar 12, 2010 #4
    Thanks for your reply and concern
    Actually i am studying RF and signal processing right now and after that i will take the antenna
    design course.
    About the security: I am not sure you got my point .
    I am thinking to attach a sim card to each device, but may be i will rethink using a mobile phone to avoid this

6. Mar 12, 2010 #5
    Great idea i was trying not to involve the PC but this sound very interesting.
    I will try to do more search.
    Thanks a lot.

7. Mar 12, 2010 #6

berkeman

What's a sim card?

8. Mar 12, 2010 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Mar 12, 2010 #8

berkeman

:redface:

10. Mar 12, 2010 #9
    They make kits for this sort of thing. Here's a full GSM evaluation board offered by http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8700". Plug your SIM card in and make your calls to it.

Is this for a senior design project? Be sure to ask your adviser if programming an evaulation board is a suitable project. At my Alma Mater, we weren't allowed to do something that easy.

Even if you can't use a pre-made board, you can still take a close look at Sparkfun's schematic to see what you're getting yourself into. It's not impossibly hard but you or some team member you wish to work with had better be good at working with microprocessors and embedded design.

Edit: fixed the link above.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  11. Mar 13, 2010 #10
    This is very close to what i was thinking about
    thanks

@berkeman
    sorry i mean SIM card.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook