Can You Build a Speaker from Scratch?

In summary, Zack was unable to provide clear instructions on how to build a speaker from scratch. He suggests using an iPod with a headphone jack to provide the music, and using an amplifier to increase the power.
Firm
Building a Speaker...New member

ok, well firstly let me introduce myself; I am a new member here, I am by no means a physics/engineering person...but I got myself stuck in grade 12 physics and I am almost through the semester. Now we've got this assignment to build a speaker or headphones from scratch. Me and my partner spent the last 5 hours trying different things and researching all over the net with no success. Anyone got some clear(fool proof) ideas??

Thanks

Zack.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you at least understand how a speaker functions? You should be able to build one fairly easily once you understand the functionality.

- Warren

Not really...I've look at a lot of diagrams...and even took apart a speaker so I have a general idea...but nothing solid. Also we've built a few different prototypes(none of which work...yet) but I think that might be becasue we're not getting the music to it correctly using an ipod with the headphone jack inplace, but since the jack originally had two separate wires coming from it, we connected two aligator clips to it at the two terminals where the wires came from it. I was also wondering if the ipod was providing enough power...so we tried a small portable stereo with no change. I was tempted to hook it up to my car stereo, but if our design is faulty it's just a waste of time.

The iPod's headphone jack only produces a very, very small amount of power, and it'll be difficult to make a crude speaker that will work with it. Instead, try using some kind of amplifier to produce a powerful signal.

All you really need is a cone made out paper, with some kind of permanent magnet attached to it, and an electromagnet made out of a coil of electromagnet wire.

- Warren

1. How do I become a new member of the speaker building community?

To become a new member of the speaker building community, you can start by researching and learning about speaker building techniques, components, and designs. You can also join online forums and groups dedicated to speaker building to connect with other enthusiasts and learn from their experiences. Additionally, attending speaker building workshops and events can also help you become a part of the community.

2. What are the basic tools and materials needed to build a speaker?

The basic tools and materials needed to build a speaker include a saw, drill, soldering iron, wire stripper, screws, glue, speaker drivers, crossover components, speaker cabinet, and speaker wire. You may also need additional tools depending on the complexity of the speaker design you are building.

3. What is the difference between a passive and an active speaker system?

A passive speaker system relies on an external amplifier to power the speaker, while an active speaker system has a built-in amplifier. This means that with a passive system, you will need to purchase a separate amplifier to power your speakers, while with an active system, the speakers can be directly connected to a sound source without the need for an external amplifier.

4. How important is speaker placement for optimal sound quality?

Speaker placement is crucial for achieving optimal sound quality as it can greatly affect the overall sound and clarity of your speaker system. Factors such as room size, furniture placement, and the type of speaker can all impact the placement. It is important to experiment with different placements to find the best sound for your specific setup.

5. Can I customize the design of my speakers?

Yes, one of the great things about building your own speakers is the ability to customize the design according to your preferences. You can choose different types of wood for the speaker cabinet, experiment with different speaker driver combinations, and even add unique features such as LED lights or a custom paint job to make your speakers truly one-of-a-kind.