1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a statistical model

1. Jan 15, 2004 #1
    I have near to no knowledge of statistics, and I want to build a statistical model that can help me calculate %chance of an event happening in situations of type:

every try has 25% success rate
    after 6 tries, what are the probabilities of having succeeded at least 5times? After 12tries?

or

each shot has 42% success rate
    after 5 tries, how what are the probabilities of succeding at least 4times?

How can I calculate probabilities like these?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2004 #2
    Sounds like you want a binomial model. Given probability of success p and n attempts, the probability of exactly k successes is:

[tex]\binom{n}{k}p^k(1-p)^{n-k}[/tex]

Of course, to figure out the probability of at least k successes, you have to add up these probabilities for every value greater than or equal to k.

4. Jan 15, 2004 #3
    what does the n above k in brackets mean?

5. Jan 16, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]\binom{n}{k}[/tex] is the "binomial coefficient". It is the coefficient of xkyn-k in (x+y)n as well as the kth term in the nth line in Pascal's triangle and can be calculated as [tex]\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}[/tex].

It is sometimes written nCk and our British colleagues seem to refer to it as "n choose k" since it is also the number of different ways one can choose k items from a set of n items.

6. Jan 16, 2004 #5
    And just in case you do not know what [itex]x![/itex] means: it means [itex]x[/itex] factorial:

[tex]x! = 1\times 2\times 3 \times \ldots \times (x-1) \times x[/tex]

7. Jan 16, 2004 #6
    Ok, thx for explanation!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?