Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a trebuchet

1. Aug 22, 2006 #1
    hey all,
    im building a trebuchet and i wanted a litte advice on slings. my trebuchet is about 7 feet tall with a 12 foot arm; i wanted to know if anyone had experience in trebuchets and if they could help me with the sling, or direct me to somewhere with that info. thanks

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/hisdudeness300/pic1.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2006 #2
    re:

what exactly do you want to know?
    -nocarkid88 :)

4. Aug 31, 2006 #3

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

usually the length of the sling is about the same length as the arm. do you know how to set up a trigger?

5. Sep 22, 2006 #4
    Sling Length

Did you ever get your sling length figured out?

6. Sep 24, 2006 #5
    A program to help you out

Nice start you got there. Having been involved in two trebuchet projects (my brother did the work, I just advised on the physics parts), I noticed three things are important.

1) The sling release mechanism: A ring that slides off a bent nail is easy and works well. The angle of the bent nail matters.

2) Structural integrity: From your picture, if thats only a 2x4 on the arm... how much weight are you planning on putting in the box? Also, what is that pivot beam made of?

3) Weight and length ratios: Check out the website below for optimal parameters.

This website, www.algobeautytreb.com/, is by far the best site I've found. It even includes a computer program to model your trebuchet and help you figure out the optimal sling length. Very helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?