Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a trebuchet

1. Aug 22, 2006 #1
    hey all,
    im building a trebuchet and i wanted a litte advice on slings. my trebuchet is about 7 feet tall with a 12 foot arm; i wanted to know if anyone had experience in trebuchets and if they could help me with the sling, or direct me to somewhere with that info. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2006 #2

what exactly do you want to know?
    -nocarkid88 :)
  4. Aug 31, 2006 #3

Gold Member

usually the length of the sling is about the same length as the arm. do you know how to set up a trigger?
  5. Sep 22, 2006 #4
    Sling Length

Did you ever get your sling length figured out?
  6. Sep 24, 2006 #5
    A program to help you out

Nice start you got there. Having been involved in two trebuchet projects (my brother did the work, I just advised on the physics parts), I noticed three things are important.

1) The sling release mechanism: A ring that slides off a bent nail is easy and works well. The angle of the bent nail matters.

2) Structural integrity: From your picture, if thats only a 2x4 on the arm... how much weight are you planning on putting in the box? Also, what is that pivot beam made of?

3) Weight and length ratios: Check out the website below for optimal parameters.

This website, www.algobeautytreb.com/, is by far the best site I've found. It even includes a computer program to model your trebuchet and help you figure out the optimal sling length. Very helpful.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?