1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a waterballoon launching Trebuchet

1. Jun 28, 2004 #1
    OK as you can tell I am 12 but fairly smart (wink,wink) This summer me and my friends plan to have a huge neighborhood water gun fight and I plan on building a waterballoon launching Trebuchet about 3 or 4 feet heigh. I need some help with the materials I should use and the weight of the well counterweight in fact I need most the demensions but the height. For quick transportation I need to use wheels which will increase the velocity at which the waterballoon will travel but i am afraid that the waterballoon will burst before it has time to be released out of the sling. What type of sling should I use? :confused:

Oh yeah forgot to mention this... I am lazy and fairly broke(after all im only 12)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2004 #2
    oi man i realy need sum help.....do u noe nething about the ebergies of a trebuchet like kinetic energy,etc. man i wood really preciate it...and email me at sexy_genius92@hotmail.com...and yeh i 14

4. Aug 21, 2004 #3
    you would have to do some calculations on projectile motion. You would also have to know Work/Energy concept. This think this project will be a little hard for you.

5. Aug 21, 2004 #4

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are some trebuchet simulator programs on the net, such as ATREB

http://www.trebuchet.com/sim/ [Broken]

The same website sells commercial kits. I have no idea of how good the kits or simulators are. I'd suggest sticking to the demo versions of the software and looking at the pictures for ideas - actually, I'd also suggest sticking to computer simulations unless you get your parents involved to be sure you're not doing anything unsafe.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  6. Aug 21, 2004 #5
    A friend and I built one a few years back about the size you are talking about (as a prototype... Its big brother should be coming into existance this summer :-p) We didn't do that many calculations, just read a bit and played with the simulator to get a good idea of what was going on. There's an online book around somewhere on the physics of Trebuchets...

Anyway, I don't think the force will break the water balloons, its a fairly smooth delivery. We easily get a golf ball about 100ft, but you need about 70lb counterweight - the more the better. I know our dimensions aren't anywhere near optimal - 2.5' high, 4' arm and our mechanism is pretty crude, so you might do a lot better. I think the hardest part to design is the bearing, so do some thinking!

Oh, and I agree with pervect, get your folks involved and be carefull. We made a "safety" for it as a backup to the trigger, I suggest you do the same. Just something to make sure it stays cocked while you're loading etc. That arm gets up a hell of a speed without a projectile...

Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook