Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building an electro magnet

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1
    This might be too simple of a question but i am building an electro magnet and breaking down all of the components for sheer practice. when i measure my coils resistance it came to roughly between .9Ω and 1.3Ω... what battery (what voltage should i use to get the most power from my magnet and does it matter if it is going to be used in pulses like a relay?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2012 #2
    Re: omes

It's spelled "ohms". And, your question doesn't make sense. For example, take a battery with a voltage 1 MV (megavolt).

4. Jul 26, 2012 #3

I'm sorry spelling isnt my strong point. What i'm trying to ask is how strong of a battery can i use before I run into a problem (such as Arking and/or flash welding) because of too much current.

5. Jul 26, 2012 #4

Take a look at this table of wire gauges and current rating:
    Wire Size
    and see what the max current the wire in your coil can support is.

6. Jul 26, 2012 #5

Ok but my friend warned me that with the amount of rotations around the iron core i have could possibly just drain my battery. would it be better to get a power supple like a AC/DC converter from a wall outlet instead of a regular battery?

Thanks again and sorry for how little i know about physics.

7. Jul 27, 2012 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Make sure to control the current flowing through the circuit in some way. Just attaching a coil to a battery may result in a destroyed battery due to very high currents. Add some resistors or something. (Or use a current limiting power supply)

Do you know much about electricity or circuits? And especially Ohms law?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook