How Can You Calculate the Wavelength of a Laser for Building an Electrolaser?

• Thread starter alexgmcm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, an electrolaser is a directed-energy weapon that uses a laser beam to ionize a target's surface and then sends an electric current through the ionized path to cause damage. It works by generating a high-powered laser beam that is focused on the target and can potentially be used for military and industrial purposes. The advantages of an electrolaser include precision, longer range, and use of renewable energy sources. However, challenges in building one include creating a powerful enough laser and addressing ethical and legal concerns.
alexgmcm
I'm sorry about posting this here.. it's not homework don't worry :tongue2: But I just feel that there must be a more specific subthread for it than general physics, but nevertheless I suppose a moderator can move it if they are aware of such a subthread?

Anyway onto the actual thread:

Basically I was reading about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolaser" as I found it quite helpful)

So to work out the wavelength of the laser required I went to wikipedia again (that great source of reliable data :smile:) and took their figure for the first ionisation energy of Nitrogen which is 1402.3 kJmol-1 and divided it by Avogadros constant to get the number of Joules required per molecule of nitrogen. (I don't know how to use Latex sorry must learn at some point would greatly appreciate any help)

I got my result to be 2.3286 x 10-18 Joules. I then used E = hf and divided my value by Plancks constant in order to calculate the frequency which I got to be 3.5143 x 1015 Hz.

I then divided c, 299,792,458 ms-1 by my value in order to calculate the wavelength, which I got to be 8.5307 x 10-8 M.

Is this the correct way to calculate the wavelength of laser required? And is such a laser feasible? Also, is it possible to ionise the molecule by exploiting the resonance of the bond, in which case, how do you work out the natural frequency of the bond?

I guess there is probably a more efficient way of building an electrolaser than targeting nitrogen as although it is the major constituent of the atmosphere it is also very stable..

Any replies appreciated,
Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Alex,

Thank you for your question. It is great to see someone taking an interest in the specifics of electrolasers.

To answer your first question, yes, the method you used to calculate the wavelength of the laser required is correct. However, I would like to point out that the first ionization energy of nitrogen is not the only factor to consider when determining the wavelength of the laser. The specific energy levels of the nitrogen molecule and the desired energy of the laser also play a role in determining the appropriate wavelength.

As for the feasibility of such a laser, it is certainly possible to create a laser that targets nitrogen molecules. However, there are many other factors to consider, such as the power source, the efficiency of the laser, and the required precision of the laser beam. It would require further research and experimentation to determine the feasibility of a specific electrolaser design.

Regarding your question about exploiting the resonance of the bond, this is a possibility but would require a thorough understanding of the structure and properties of the nitrogen molecule. The natural frequency of the bond can be calculated using quantum mechanics principles, but it would be a complex and involved process.

In terms of finding a more efficient way to build an electrolaser, there are ongoing research efforts in this area. Some scientists are exploring the use of different molecules or materials that may be more easily ionized or manipulated with a laser, while others are working on improving the efficiency and precision of the laser itself.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Keep exploring and learning about electrolasers – there is still much to discover in this field.

I would say that your method for calculating the wavelength of the laser required is correct. However, it is important to keep in mind that there may be other factors that could affect the wavelength and energy of the laser, such as the specific setup and design of the electrolaser.

In terms of feasibility, electrolasers have been successfully developed and used in various applications, so it is definitely a viable technology. However, the specific design and materials used will play a significant role in its effectiveness and efficiency.

Regarding your question about exploiting the resonance of the bond in order to ionize the molecule, this is definitely a possibility and has been explored in various studies. The natural frequency of the bond can be determined through spectroscopic techniques and theoretical calculations.

Overall, building an electrolaser requires a thorough understanding of the principles of laser technology and careful design and experimentation. It is certainly an interesting and promising field of research.

1. What is an electrolaser?

An electrolaser is a type of directed-energy weapon that uses a laser beam to ionize a target's surface and then sends an electric current through the ionized path to create a plasma channel. This plasma channel conducts electricity and can cause damage to the target.

2. How does an electrolaser work?

An electrolaser works by first generating a high-powered laser beam that is focused onto a target. The laser beam ionizes the target's surface, creating a conductive channel. Then, a pulse of electricity is sent down this channel, causing damage to the target.

3. What are the potential uses of an electrolaser?

Electrolasers have been proposed for use in various military applications, including missile defense, crowd control, and disabling enemy electronics. They could also potentially be used in industrial applications for cutting and welding.

4. What are the advantages of using an electrolaser?

One of the main advantages of an electrolaser is its precision. Unlike traditional weapons, an electrolaser can be aimed with extreme accuracy, reducing the risk of collateral damage. Additionally, electrolasers can be used at longer ranges and can be powered by renewable energy sources.

5. What are the challenges in building an electrolaser?

One of the main challenges in building an electrolaser is creating a laser with enough power to effectively ionize a target. There are also technical challenges in designing the pulse generator and controlling the timing and duration of the electric pulse. Furthermore, the use of electrolasers in military applications raises ethical and legal concerns that must be addressed.