Build an Oleo Strut: Tips, Instructions & Max Energy Absorption

• Thread starter ElementsnStuff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, the conversation discusses building an oleo strut and the maximum energy it can absorb. The maximum energy is limitless as long as there are no size restrictions. An accumulator is a reservoir for excess fluid under pressure, and a blowoff valve is necessary to prevent structural damage during use. The dimensions for the oleo strut being discussed are 2.5 inches tall by 1.56 inches wide by 1 inch deep.
ElementsnStuff
I was wondering if anyone could assist me in building my own oleo strut or lead me to some detailed instructions, as I'm new to the metalworking concepts that I presume will be involved.

Also, out of curiosity, how 'absorbant' can an oleo strut be built - that is, what is the maximum energy one can absorb theoretically? I've only ever seen results in the single-digit joules for hobbyists - not too thrilling, to be honest.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ElementsnStuff said:
what is the maximum energy one can absorb theoretically
That is essentially limitless, since no size restrictions are given. That absorption will be through whatever you use as an accumulator or blowoff valve, not the cylinder itself (unless its structural integrity is less than the other 2). If you have only the cylinder with no valving, then back to answer #1.

You are building something out of ... margarine??

Likes Danger
Danger said:
That is essentially limitless, since no size restrictions are given. That absorption will be through whatever you use as an accumulator or blowoff valve, not the cylinder itself (unless its structural integrity is less than the other 2). If you have only the cylinder with no valving, then back to answer #1.

Alright then, I guess I can dig up some size restrictions, although these aren't really set in stone. Max dimensions would be 2.5 inches tall by 1.56 inches wide by 1 inch deep.

What is an 'accumulator'?

Also, I thought oleo struts stayed at a constant inner pressure with no load applied - why would a blowoff valve be necessary?

ElementsnStuff said:
Max dimensions would be 2.5 inches tall by 1.56 inches wide by 1 inch deep.
In that case, the limits would be upon the structural integrity of the seals and the cylinder components. If those walls are 1/2" thick, it will take more than if they're only .1".

ElementsnStuff said:
What is an 'accumulator'?
An accumulator is a "reservoir" into which excess fluid is routed and/or stored under pressure.
ElementsnStuff said:
Also, I thought oleo struts stayed at a constant inner pressure with no load applied - why would a blowoff valve be necessary?
An oleo strut is not just oleo (meaning "oil"); it's actually an air-over-oil hybrid. That should be obvious from the usage, since oil is a liquid and thus not compressible. The pressure is constant while under static conditions, as you say, but those don't exist during use. Blowoff valves are like fuses in an electrical circuit; they let the fluid/air out before it can rupture the working parts.

1. How does an oleo strut work?

An oleo strut is a type of shock absorber commonly used in aircraft landing gear. It works by using compressed air or nitrogen gas to absorb the impact of the landing and release the energy gradually, reducing the stress on the aircraft and its passengers.

2. What materials are needed to build an oleo strut?

The materials needed to build an oleo strut include a piston, a cylinder, a spring, and a fluid (usually air or nitrogen gas). Other materials such as seals, valves, and mounting hardware may also be required depending on the design.

3. What are some tips for building an oleo strut?

Some tips for building an oleo strut include carefully following the design specifications, using high-quality materials, and ensuring proper sealing to prevent leaks. It is also important to properly test and adjust the strut before use.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when building an oleo strut?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when building an oleo strut. These include wearing appropriate protective gear, handling the materials carefully, and following proper procedures for assembly and testing. It is also important to consult with an experienced professional or follow detailed instructions to ensure safe construction.

5. What is the maximum energy absorption capacity of an oleo strut?

The maximum energy absorption capacity of an oleo strut depends on various factors such as its design, materials used, and the weight and speed of the aircraft. Generally, oleo struts are designed to absorb a significant amount of energy and can withstand high impact forces, making them effective shock absorbers for aircraft landing gear.