1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building an X-ray Telescope

Tags:
  1. Feb 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    it gives a bit of an intro

"It is difficult to build a large surface area telescope to observe X-rays, because the index of refraction for nearly all materials at those wavelength is less than 1, which means you cannot create a reflective mirror in the normal fashion. Because the index of refraction in vacuum is larger than that in the mirror material, however, you can bounce the X-ray off the mirror using small angles via total internal reflection."

I'll start with just the first part of the problem because I don't even know where to start with the rest of it.

(a) Assuming we have built a mirror out of a substance with an index of refraction n = 1 - δ, calculate the value of δ if the mirror can only reflect X-rays hitting the mirror at 89° ≤ θ
    < 90°.

2. Relevant equations

n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2

3. The attempt at a solution

What I did was say the angle of total internal reflection was about 1° and set that equal to sin-1(n1/n2). And if n1 is 1 - δ and n2 is 1 because it's vacuum (I assume) then δ = 0.982.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted