Build Concave Mirrors Up to 1.5M Dia: Design a Grinding/Polishing Machine

In summary, the conversation discusses designing and constructing a grinding and polishing machine for manufacturing concave mirrors. The speaker suggests using an old car wheel housing for the base and 1/2 inch steel plate for the mount. They also ask for suggestions on a clock drive and setting circles. The conversation also mentions pre-sphericized glass blanks and the difficulty of making clock drives.
les trickett
We Are Trying To Design A Grinding/polishing Machine To Manufacture Concave Mirrors Upto 1.5 M Dia
Does Anybody Have Any Plans For Construction

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Try here:

http://www.oblivion.net/~astro/mirror/mom/construction.html

Last edited by a moderator:
If you "Google" Grinding/polishing Machine you will find a lot of good links.

I have a Odyssey 1 Dobsonian and have been thinking of building an equatorial mount for it.
I am thinking of using an old front wheel housing from a junked car for base of the mount has anyone tried this or know someone who has?

I figured that the wheel housing would be over-kill but more is better than less when it comes to stability, as for the mount to the telescope itself I have some 1/2 inch steel plate that I can cut up and make a fork mount out of it. I know it will be heavy but it is going to be in a building and will not be moved.

Any suggestions for a clock drive and setting circles set up would be appreciated as well as any other construction tips.

Thanks

The principle for grinding a spherical surface is quite simple. Uniform pressure, linear motion of one of the surfaces, and rotation of the other surface. A small amount of randomness in the stroke, rotation speed or both is even better. Pre-sphericized glass blanks are commercially available pretty cheap. It's worth a look, you might be surprised how large and inexpensive these can be. It's not hugely expensive to make your own rig, but not cost effective unless you can sell a couple rough ground mirrors. Making clock drives is surprisingly difficult. You need gears with weird teeth numbers to make it work on house current [60 Hz], or some fairly pricy frequency converters. Albeit frequency converters might be a lot cheaper now than the last time I priced them.

1. What is the purpose of building concave mirrors up to 1.5m diameter?

The purpose of building concave mirrors up to 1.5m diameter is to create large, high-quality mirrors that can be used for a variety of applications such as telescopes, solar concentrators, and laser systems. These mirrors can gather and focus light over a large surface area, making them ideal for use in scientific research and industrial processes.

2. What is the design process for a grinding/polishing machine for concave mirrors?

The design process for a grinding/polishing machine for concave mirrors involves several steps. First, the specifications for the mirror, such as diameter and focal length, are determined. Then, the machine is designed to accommodate the mirror and the tools needed for grinding and polishing. This includes selecting appropriate materials, motors, and other components. Finally, the machine is tested and refined to ensure it can produce high-quality concave mirrors.

3. What are the main challenges in designing a grinding/polishing machine for concave mirrors?

The main challenges in designing a grinding/polishing machine for concave mirrors include ensuring precision and accuracy in the grinding and polishing process, as well as designing a machine that can accommodate the size and weight of large mirrors. The machine must also be designed to produce a smooth and even surface on the mirror, which requires careful control of the grinding and polishing tools.

4. What materials are typically used in the construction of a grinding/polishing machine for concave mirrors?

Materials commonly used in the construction of a grinding/polishing machine for concave mirrors include steel, aluminum, and other metals for the frame and support structure. The grinding and polishing tools are typically made of industrial diamonds or other abrasive materials. Other components such as motors, gears, and bearings may also be made of metal or high-strength plastics.

5. How long does it take to grind and polish a concave mirror using a grinding/polishing machine?

The time it takes to grind and polish a concave mirror using a grinding/polishing machine can vary depending on the size and complexity of the mirror and the precision required. However, it is not uncommon for the process to take several days or even weeks to achieve a high-quality finish. This is because the grinding and polishing must be done gradually and carefully to avoid any imperfections or irregularities on the mirror's surface.