1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building wireless earphones

1. Apr 5, 2008 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

I wanted to get wireless (bluetooth) earphones for my mp3 player but when I checked I found that they were way out of my price range (bluetooth earphones for phones with bluetooth are relatively cheep, but for a regular mp3 player they're expensive ~ 200 dollars).
    So I had an idea: I can make a radio transmitter that plugs into where my earphones normally plug in and make it transmit the music at some AM frequency up to about a meter - and then make a tiny radio receiver for that frequency only which I connect to some earphones. The I just have to plug the transmitter into the mp3 and the music will be transmitted to the earphones.
    Now, I've never actually built a transmitter before (just the receiver) though I'm pretty sure I know how. So my question is - do you think that this is a feasible solution to the problem? Would it be possible to build a transmitter that didn't substantially lower the sound quality? Are there better solutions to this problem?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2008 #2
    How about some fm radio headphones and a fm modulator like they sell for playing mp3's in your car. It would all be < $50 I would think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?