Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building WW2 airplanes

1. Apr 15, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Seeing as the US is a good and nice capitalist system... and you seem to be able to buy practically anything otherwise... does anyone build WW2 aircraft? Wouldn't it be so cool to buy like an F4 Corsair... Hell if i had the money, id buy one just to stare at outside...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2005 #2
    I'm pretty sure that would fall under "restricted weapons" category. Maybe if you excluded the machine guns, or had fake ones, and no bomb pads either.

4. Apr 16, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

wow, you canucks got some crazy law then :P We can have any airplane we want as long as it doesnt have actual weapons on it.

5. Apr 16, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

We can, too. Most replicas use acetylene burners in fake machine guns. There's no law against bomb racks or bays, either, as long as you don't carry functional bombs. One of my buddies from that EAA that I mentioned belonging to owned and flew a P-51, and another flew actor Cliff Robertson's Spitfire at airshows for him. If someone up here had enough bucks, and was dumb enough to want one, he could own an F-18. One of the items in my 'If I had a million dollars' basket is a P-38. I just love those things. :biggrin:

6. Apr 16, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok ok back to the cool questin.

does anyone build WW2 aircraft? My absolute life dream would be to fly an F4U corsair.

7. Apr 16, 2005 #6
    I guess if you have enough cash they going to build replica of WW2 plane for you.
    By the way my personal favourite is Focke-Wulf 190, simply master piece :!!)

Attached Files:

8. Apr 16, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I was going to recommend contacting the Confederate Air Force in Texas, but I found one closer to you. Check out http://www.orgsites.com/ca/caf-socal/

9. Apr 16, 2005 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I don't think that's possible. Most current military hardware is prohibited for general sale through government trade restrictions. I'd have to ask our leagal weenies at work the proper terminology is for it. The point is moot though.

The F4U was quite an aircraft after they worked the bugs out of it. It was one of my personal favorites from that era myself.

10. Apr 16, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You can own an F-18 Fred. Heck you can own an apache helicopter :D There was a show on i think the history channel or the military channel with people who owned all sortsa crazy stuff.

11. Apr 16, 2005 #10

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My project supervisor got offered a Mig 23 for £100 when he was in China last year.

I'm not altogether sure I'm supposed to have shared that with you...

12. Apr 16, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

lol wow.... are they that desperate for money?

13. Apr 16, 2005 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Definitely one of my favorites, too!

I would add the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, Hawker Hurricane, and the DeHaviland Mosquito (only one around AFAIK).

I certainly could go for a Spitfire too. :biggrin:

Then for bombers the B-29 and B-24's.
    http://www.cafb29b24.org/

The B-29 is affectionately known as Fifi, and IIRC she's the only one - http://www.cafb29b24.org/fifi.shtml

The was one B-29 found up in Alaska many years ago. Some guys rebuilt it and tried to fly it out - off some ice. But they forgot to shut off the aux power unit (APU) in the tail. The APU broke loose with the bumping around on the ice, the fuel line ruptured and they lost the plane. :cry: Nuts!

14. Apr 16, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How much do you guys think it would cost to get a corsair built? I swear... thatd make my life worth it :D

15. Apr 16, 2005 #14

Danger

Gold Member

None of those wooden planes had a great record for post-use shelf life. Too bad... They were at least as strong as the metal ones, but once you quit taking care of them, they rot.

Roger that, big time. I think that there are only 2 flying ones left. Robertson's is one, and the other is in Europe somewhere. That buddy of mine who flew Robertson's, by the way, swears up and down that he broke Mach in one of those suckers during a power dive in the Battle of Britain. I didn't think that the airframe would handle the transsonic shock, or that the service ceiling would give enough acceleration room. I'd love to hear from an aeronautical engineer (hint, hint) about that. He was there and I wasn't, but it still sounds a little hinkey.
    For bombers, I'd take the B-25 Mitchell because you can fly it like a fighter. Also a Hudson (military version of the Lockheed 14) just because you need 5 arms to drive the thing.

That really is enough to make a guy :cry: . Do you happen to know what happened to the P-38's they were trying to get out of the ice in Scandanavia a few years back? They ran out of money, but I thought that they were going to regroup and hit it again. Weren't there like 5 of them or something? I think a whole flight ran out of fuel and had to ditch, or something like that.

edit: I usually avoid this subject, because it absolutely infuriates me, but it should be safe to mention it here. Above all else, I want an Arrow! (With the proper Iroquois engines that it was designed for, not those pansy little Orendas with which it broke every flight record in the world.)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  16. Apr 16, 2005 #15

Danger

Gold Member

I couldn't begin to guess. Things are way different here than where you are, and I don't even know what it would be here. A couple of hundred grand, I would expect, if you want an original restored to mint condition. I'd think that you could probably have a new one built according to the original blueprints for less. You'd probably have to go to an aerobatics engine if you can't find the original of that. I think that's the only way that you can get a radial any more. Again, I think that you'd be best off contacting one of the warbird clubs and talking to someone who has one.

17. Apr 16, 2005 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah i wouldnt think the plans were destroyed or no one kept copies or arent in any archives... You could probably get every part made through various places. Im sure someone builds radial engines like that or would be willing to build one... God knows if i could even find someone willing to sell theirs :) I know if i had one, i wouldnt let it out of my hands lol. Probably cost like $500,000 to get one and restore itto flying condition... Hell id be content on one that just looked like it :D

18. Apr 16, 2005 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

No mention of Heinkel? I had an ongoing joke with my first husband about one of their planes. He required me to learn about all WWII planes, although I built models of WWII planes as a child, so I wasn't completely unfamiliar.

19. Apr 16, 2005 #18
    try a million or two or three depends on the bird
    there is a shop near orlando fl that rebuilds warbirds
    when I was there 15 years ago they had a P-51 a me-109 and some 50's jets
    all they realy need is a # plate to rebuild a warbird
    repo's have no real value with out a tie to a real aircraft #

once apoun a time you could buy a surplus P-51 for $500
    flight ready and full of av gas
    parts were cheap too
    but they are gone now mostly

20. Apr 16, 2005 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Whats a # plate?

And dang, i heard theres a lot of even early jet aircraft that you can buy from less then a million.

21. Apr 16, 2005 #20
    # plate = the ID # of the aircraft
    they had a brass plate with the aircrafts info on it
    who built it where when HP weight sub-type ect
    like a VIN # for a car

http://www.corsair82.com/
    here is a 8/10 scale F4U repro they are building

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?