Built in CPU motherboard, good ?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cpu
In summary: PC, I would not recommend a motherboard with onboard video. If you only do light gaming or web browsing, an on-board video may not be a huge deal. However, if you do heavy gaming or graphics work, it may be beneficial to get a more consolidated motherboard.
Saint
Mainboard: PCChips M841LU SIS740 Chipset Micro-ATX.
2xPC133 SDRAM DIMM Slot,
2xPC2100 DDR266 SDRAM DIMM Slot,
3xPCI Slot + 1xAMR Slot,
2xPS/2 + 1xParallel + 1xSerial + 1xDisplay,
3xAudio + 1xGame + 4xUSB2.0 + 1xLAN100Mbps.

Comes with Built-In:
AMD Duron Pro 1400+ Processor with Heat Sink & Cooler Fan.
C-MEDIA CMI9738 Sound 4-Channel.
SIS 740 Display 64MB AGP4X.
SIS 900 LAN 100Mbps.
SIS USB2.0 4-Ports Ready.

http://www26.brinkster.com/saint2300/Upload/board.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Yeah, I've never heard of a PC motherboard with the processor built-in: there's no point since the CPU is manufactured independently.

PC chips and others do permenantly attach the CPU to their motherboards sometimes.

Are they any good? Until one or the other is outdated or fails.

Also, I have heard it said that some of these companies overclock(push the chip to a higher then rated clock speed) the chip (part of the reason they are packaged as a single unit I think). I believe this is only legal if they inform the purchaser that they have done this.

These packaged CPU/Mobos are cheaper, but would I buy one? No.

I've tried PCChips motherboards.
Don't bother.
They are poor quality, restricted upgrade possibilities and their customer service is virtually nonexistant.

The only things I would ever recommend "on-board" would be audio if it is at least 16 bit with a midi port and maybe a modem (56k) or lan NIC if it can do at least 10 and 100 Mb.

Don't buy a Mobo with onboard video, the videocard is probably the best thing to ever upgrade other than extra memory/harddrive. Also, even though I typically get a new mobo and cpu on an upgrade, I personally wouldn't buy a mobo that I couldn't take out the cpu, just in case.

I have heard it said that some of these companies overclock(push the chip to a higher then rated clock speed) the chip

aka Alienware

You should buy according to your needs...althought I agree totally with J, PCChips is a poor choice.

For an more hands on type of approach with your computer, get as few compnents onboard as possible. The benefits of this are the fact that you can upgrade easily, saving you money in the future, and you get to customize your PC a bit more.

The more you get built into the motherboard, the less time before you have to get a new PC to stay with the times. Especially if you do gaming/high-end graphics work. However, if word processing/web browsing is your goal, a more consolidated motherboard may not be a bad choice, due to the (generally) lower price.

Summary:

Upgradability/Customization = Buy everything seperate
Ease of setup/less work = Onboard everything

My two cents ;)

Considering

What is a built-in CPU motherboard?

A built-in CPU motherboard is a type of computer motherboard that has a CPU (central processing unit) already integrated onto the board. This means that the CPU is physically attached and cannot be removed or upgraded.

What are the advantages of a built-in CPU motherboard?

One advantage of a built-in CPU motherboard is that it is often more compact and space-saving compared to a separate CPU and motherboard. It also eliminates the need for a separate CPU installation, making it easier and faster to set up a computer.

Are there any disadvantages to using a built-in CPU motherboard?

Yes, there are some potential disadvantages to using a built-in CPU motherboard. Since the CPU is integrated onto the board, it cannot be upgraded or replaced if it becomes outdated or damaged. This can limit the lifespan of the motherboard and potentially lead to the need for a full system upgrade.

How do I know if a built-in CPU motherboard is good?

There are a few factors to consider when determining if a built-in CPU motherboard is good. These include the speed and performance of the integrated CPU, the overall quality and reliability of the motherboard, and compatibility with other components such as RAM and graphics cards.

Can a built-in CPU motherboard be overclocked?

It depends on the specific motherboard and CPU combination. Some built-in CPU motherboards may have limited overclocking capabilities, while others may not support it at all. It is important to research the specifications of the motherboard before attempting to overclock it.