Unintended Design: When the Universe Knows Itself

• Thread starter Xznkl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary: That's the only way to truly know something. In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creation without intentional design and whether the universe operates in this way. The participants also question if the universe has consciousness and if it will ever know itself for the first time. They also discuss the limitations of language and the importance of experiencing something rather than just talking about it.
Xznkl
Sometimes, a thing is created without any intentional design. And yet when it's complete, you feel as if you had it in mind all along.

If the universe operates in this way, will there be a day when it knows itself for the first time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Xznkl said:
Sometimes, a thing is created without any intentional design. And yet when it's complete, you feel as if you had it in mind all along.

If the universe operates in this way, will there be a day when it knows itself for the first time?
Well, the flaw in that analogy is this:
In the human example, you are talking about a conscious mind creating something - whether intentionally or unintentionally.
That precondition does not exist in the case of the universe. There is no designing mechanism which could develop something unintentionally, let alone intentionally.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, the flaw in that analogy is this:
In the human example, you are talking about a conscious mind creating something - whether intentionally or unintentionally.
That precondition does not exist in the case of the universe. There is no designing mechanism which could develop something unintentionally, let alone intentionally.

And if the universe has a consciousness? And suppose you can create without consciousness?

Xznkl said:
And if the universe has a consciousness? And suppose you can create without consciousness?

And if you are supposing too much ? And what if you are not talking about your experience but rather about something someone has told you while your consciousness was half awake, thereby creating an attitude of his own liking ?

Last edited:
OOO said:
And if you are supposing too much ? And what if you are not talking about your experience but rather about something someone has told you while your consciousness was half awake, thereby creating an attitude of his own liking ?

I don't think that is the case. And who's to say I am supposing too much, I guess you are. I don't feel that I am. I think it doesn't really matter at the end.

I know that when you are quite complete, you will see who you are for the first time. If we are part of creation, and if looking at creation as a whole. It doesn't know itself because there is no self...but suppose that it will happen the same that happens to me, will it know itself for the first time? And if it does, what is it like? What will happen?

Xznkl said:
I don't think that is the case. And who's to say I am supposing too much, I guess you are. I don't feel that I am. I think it doesn't really matter at the end.

I know that when you are quite complete, you will see who you are for the first time. If we are part of creation, and if looking at creation as a whole. It doesn't know itself because there is no self...but suppose that it will happen the same that happens to me, will it know itself for the first time? And if it does, what is it like? What will happen?

What is it ? Have you seen it with your own eyes ? It seems to me that you are using words in a very peculiar way that drastically contradicts my experience (and I would claim almost everyone I know personally too).

At the moment I am looking at my computer. I can imagine that there is something outside the door, outside the building, outside of town, outside the country, in outer space, but to be honest, I don't know. If Venus had collided with some giant asteroid in the meantime and vanished into the interstellar space I wouldn't have noticed. I have no ability to look at the creation as a whole. I can only look at its parts and complement my ignorance with imagination.

Are you claiming to have second sight ?

What is it? Everything and nothing
Have you seen it? Yes, but not ALL of it.
I don't think you can look at creation as a whole. But you can say come closer to it than someone else, or closer than last year.
If you look at all the parts, do you think it will develope consciousness? And aside from that, does creation need consciousness?

Xznkl said:
What is it? Everything and nothing
Sorry but this answer seems to be somewhat of a lame excuse.
Xznkl said:
Have you seen it? Yes, but not ALL of it.
I understand, I have also seen different things in my life, some stranger than others. But what does this help ?
Xznkl said:
I don't think you can look at creation as a whole. But you can say come closer to it than someone else, or closer than last year.
That sounds more modest now. I could agree with that statement.
Xznkl said:
If you look at all the parts, do you think it will develope consciousness?
Haven't we just agreed that we can't look at all the parts ? It's a mental construction and as such it is subject to failure. In my opinion there can be no doubt that an objective reality exists, but nobody can say what it is.
Xznkl said:
And aside from that, does creation need consciousness?
A needs B if you can't observe A without B occurring as well. The problem is that not only you can't observe A (creation as a whole) at all, but you can't observe B (consciousness outside of your self perception) as well. So this question cannot be answered by using words and logic.

You may however have experience that I don't have, but then there is no way to prove it to me by using words. There is no use in talking about colour with the blind.

Last edited:
So you tell me how to go about it?
Seeing that i can't talk about it like this, how can i talk about it?

Xznkl said:
So you tell me how to go about it?
Seeing that i can't talk about it like this, how can i talk about it?

You may talk endlessly about it, but for what reason ?

OOO said:
You may talk endlessly about it, but for what reason ?

Because I believe that an individual's reality might come very close to the objective reality you were speaking about. And for that to happen i'd have to talk about it or else I don't think I will get anywhere sane.

Xznkl said:
Because I believe that an individual's reality might come very close to the objective reality you were speaking about. And for that to happen i'd have to talk about it or else I don't think I will get anywhere sane.

Animals are naturally afraid of the unknown. This behaviour is a very helpful for survival. When they are afraid, they turn back. The concept of reality is only useful in well-known territory.

1. What is "Unintended Design" in relation to the universe?

"Unintended Design" refers to the concept that the universe, through natural processes and laws, has created complex and organized structures and systems that appear to have been intentionally designed, even though there was no conscious intention behind it. This idea challenges the traditional notion that design requires a designer.

2. How does the universe "know itself"?

The universe "knows itself" through the emergence of self-awareness in living beings, particularly humans. This self-awareness allows us to observe and study the universe, uncovering its laws and patterns, and ultimately gaining a deeper understanding of our place within it.

3. What evidence supports the idea of "Unintended Design"?

There is a wealth of evidence from various fields of science that support the concept of "Unintended Design." For example, the intricate and interdependent relationships between living organisms and their environments, the complexity of DNA and the genetic code, and the emergence of consciousness are all examples of unintentional design in the universe.

4. How does "Unintended Design" relate to the concept of evolution?

"Unintended Design" and evolution are closely related concepts. Evolution is the process by which species change and adapt over time through natural selection, and it is a key mechanism for the emergence of complex and organized structures in the universe. "Unintended Design" builds upon this idea, suggesting that the universe as a whole has evolved and developed through natural processes, resulting in the appearance of design.

5. What implications does "Unintended Design" have for our understanding of the universe?

"Unintended Design" challenges traditional conceptions of a purposeful and intentional universe, and instead suggests that the universe is a constantly evolving and self-organizing system. This concept has profound implications for our understanding of our place in the universe and the role of science and religion in explaining the world around us.