Bulbs bulbs bulbs

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
So Omcheeto challenged me to find that mountain in The Netherlands..

Yippie!

Ok. Here's an easy one. It's a picture my sister emailed me last week:

10.jpg

This should be an easy one for Andre. He lives in the http://stories-etc.com/Netherlands.htm", and should be able to identify that mountain in the background. :rolleyes:
Not too hard indeed, except that it was Oregon. So today I checked if we really had so many bulb flowers here, and this is the result.

2aj29m1.jpg

2dqt10j.jpg

and then suddenly two Oystercatchers cross the view finder...

29old7a.jpg

Unprepared but still nice: the 100% crop. (sorry for the width)

etsf2o.jpg

24nnsps.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Very beautiful.

No Jan Herte tractors?

Some more;

What you can do with 12mm wide angle:

desaxh.jpg

1zdt56s.jpg

However immediately after the blooming the tulips are decapitated... :frown:

dob7v8.jpg

Very beautiful.

No Jan Herte tractors?
:biggrin: Thanks Lisa, Indeed that herten species is not common here. maybe in a museum for endangered tractors.

FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
museum for endangered tractors :D :D

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
[PLAIN]http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2716/dsc6169.jpg [Broken]

Sorry- I couldn't resist.

I took this last night- it's a compact fluorescent bulb, taken through a BG3 filter: there's a story why I did this- bear with me, there's a good punchline at the end.

My Ultraphot III was free- the terms were that I had to haul the (disassembled) beast out of the warehouse. It was a gamble that paid off, because hidden in all the drawers was a full set of epi-DIC objectives, a full set of luminars, and more- plus, the scope is in perfect working condition. There was also a bunch of Schott and Kopp color glass filters, which I no idea what to do with. Since I now have a color camera, I re-discovered the glass filters and have been seeing what I can do with them: I'm thinking solar photography, but in any case when I was wandering around looking at stuff through the various filters I noticed that looking at a CFL through the BG3 filter was *really* weird. In fact, looking at *any* intense light though that filter (and only that filter- not the RG645, OG2, 5-60 or 2-60, or any of the other ones) results in the appearance of what can be described as 'sparkles', 'tiny ants', or 'light-dark dashes' crawling around the source. I made my wife look and verify that she saw it, too- I was starting to think there was something *really* wrong with my eyes- but I am convinced it's an optical illusion: I can't capture the effect with a camera.

I did some digging, and the BG3 passband is restricted to only the blue cone sensitivity. So now I am *convinced* it's a biological effect, some combination of bleaching the cones and saccadic movements of the eye. I urge you to get a BG3 filter (they are reasonably cheap) and see for yourself- it's truly bizarre.

Last edited by a moderator:
drizzle
Gold Member
SOOO BEAUTIFUL Andre :!!)

Thanks for sharing.

However immediately after the blooming the tulips are decapitated... :frown:

dob7v8.jpg

How dare he! Couldn't they just give it to people/hospitals/schools... Oh wait 'nothing's free' :grumpy: