Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bulding a cluster

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    Hey people!

I am interested in building a small cluster. At this lab I work for, we have a bunch of Pentium IV 1GB RAM computers we no longer use. To retain them from uselessness, we are thinking of the possibility of building a small cluster. I have read a few guides, but most are over 10 years old.

My question is: is there any up to date guide that is not completely technical? I have read about master and slave nodes. Is there any way to connect a few (four or five) of our computers to this cluster?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2012 #2
    I've built farms in the past when I was involved in the Seti @ Home project. There are loads of info from those folks setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu . If you go to some of the user website they have the most info. At least they did. Not done S@H in many years.

Generally, with PCs that old, one new PC will do more and faster, using less energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook