Bulk Angular Momentum: Definition & Explanation

In summary, the book "Transport Phenomena" by Lightfoot, Byron, and Stewart discusses the equation of change of angular momentum when taking the cross product of the equation of motion and the position vector. After manipulation, a term involving the third-order tensor ##\mathbf{\epsilon}## and the stress-tensor ##\mathbf{\tau}## appears. The authors state that if ##\mathbf{\tau}## is asymmetric, this term describes the conversion of bulk angular momentum to internal angular momentum. Bulk angular momentum refers to the overall angular momentum of an object, while internal angular momentum is a vector field that describes the angular momentum at different points within the object. This conversion occurs when there is a motion that changes the
dRic2
Gold Member
According to the book "transport phenomena" by Lightfoot, Byron and Stewart if you take the cross product of the equation of motion (for very small element of fluid) and the position vector ##r## you get the equation of change of angular momentum. After some manipulation of vectors and tensors the equation can be written in such a way that a this term shows up:
$$ -[ \mathbf \epsilon \mathbf : \mathbf \tau ] $$

Where ## \mathbf \epsilon ## is a third-order tensor and ## \mathbf \tau ## is the stress-tensor.

Then the authors say:

If, on the other hand, ## \mathbf \tau## is asymmetric, then the last term describes the rate of conversion of bulk angular momentum to internal angular momentum.

What "bulk angular momentum" is? I don't understand, why there are two angular momentum?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think bulk angular momentum is the angular momentum the object has as a whole, i.e. ## \vec L_b=\vec r_b \times \vec p_b ## where ##\vec r_b## and ##\vec p_b## are the position and momentum vectors of the object itself. Then the internal angular momentum has to be a vector field that tells you what is the angular momentum of a bit of the object at a particular point inside it.

Likes dRic2
Thank you. I have some questions left then:

1) how exactly should I "imagine" (or calculate) the total angular momentum of stream of fluid?

2) Why is there a conversion from this two type of angular momentum ?

dRic2 said:
1) how exactly should I "imagine" (or calculate) the total angular momentum of stream of fluid?
I'm not quite sure. But I suppose if you're talking about ,e.g., a bucket of water, then the motion of that bucket will indicate the motion of the water inside it as a whole. Any motion that changes the shape of the water inside the bucket should be considered as internal motion because it changes the position of those bits of water relative to each other.
dRic2 said:
2) Why is there a conversion from this two type of angular momentum ?
Well, just take a glass of water and move it, that motion will cause disturbance in the surface of the water. You just converted some bulk momentum to some internal momentum.

Likes dRic2
Thanks again. It think it is not very intuitive though (your explanation was clear, I just find it a bit strange)

What is bulk angular momentum?

Bulk angular momentum refers to the total angular momentum of a system, which includes the sum of the individual angular momenta of all the particles within the system. It takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation of each particle.

How is bulk angular momentum different from individual angular momentum?

Bulk angular momentum takes into account the combined angular momentum of all particles in a system, whereas individual angular momentum only considers the angular momentum of a single particle. Additionally, bulk angular momentum is a vector quantity, while individual angular momentum is a scalar quantity.

What is the formula for calculating bulk angular momentum?

The formula for bulk angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. This formula can also be written as L = mvr, where m is the mass of the particle, v is its velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the conservation of bulk angular momentum?

The conservation of bulk angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that the angular momentum of a system before an event or interaction will be equal to the angular momentum after the event or interaction.

What are some real-world examples of bulk angular momentum?

Some real-world examples of bulk angular momentum include the rotation of planets around the sun, the spinning of a top, and the rotation of a bicycle wheel. In each of these examples, the individual particles within the system contribute to the overall bulk angular momentum.