1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bulk melting point

1. Dec 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all, I have a question which is regarding melting point. I know that lindemann's criterion doesn't actually describe the phenomena of melting but is an approximation of what maybe occurring/ an intuitive approach.

So the question is in a tabulated form for lead and tungsten ( assuming crystals) with Youngs modulus, Molar volume and melting temperature given and they want me to describe the terms / details quantitatively.

I have assumed that they want me to essentially find out the root mean square amplitude of the vibrations which will eventually give me a separation distance (not equlibirum) that needs to be at least 10% of a fraction to the inter atomic distance.

2. Relevant equations

Root mean square of amplitude of atomic vibrations is given by the following equation:

[itex]\sqrt{<u^2>}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{KbT/D}[/itex] where D = spring constant.

D = Y[itex]r_{0}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Data given for lead is:

[itex]T_{m}[/itex] = 3650 K , Molar volume : 0.0953m^3 , Young's modulus: 36*10^10 N/m^2

My approach involved finding out the vibrational energy by kbT. Then equating that to 1/2kx^2 ( here 'x' = r-r0) but first I need to find out spring constant k and separation at equlibirum.

To get 'k' I have used the following equation:
    k= Y[itex]r_{0}[/itex]
    and for [itex]r_{0}[/itex] , Molar volume = [itex]N_{a}[/itex]b* ([itex]r_{0}[/itex])^3

Is the above approach right ? is this how I am mean't to do it ?

Thanks for your replies and merry christmas !

Edit: Also one more thing which confuses me slightly .. I know that lindemann's constant is a value which's usually same i.e doesn't vary but I have seen different variation to get it... is the rms of the amplitude of the vibration = C * interatomic distance ? can someone clarify this for me as well. Thanks!

EDIT2: If you have a look on the following links.. you will notice that there is a difference of powers for the mean square amplitude value <u^2> = ..
    http://phycomp.technion.ac.il/~phsorkin/thesis/node4.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melting_point

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2011 #2
    Can someone clairfy to me when exactly does melting occur. Is it when the root mean square of the amplitude gets to about 10% of the inter atomic distance or is it just the mean square of the amplitude ?

Also to find the inter atomic distance.. is that same as 'r0' separation of atoms at equilibrium ?

<u^2> = Cl^2 * a^2 is this the right expression ? Google hasn't helped much on this but has shown some conflicting form.
    Thank you..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook