1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Bulk modulus and density

1. Jul 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The deepest point in the ocean is in the Mariana Trench, about 11 km deep. The pressure at that point is huge, about 1.13 x108 N/m2.
    (a) The deepest point in the ocean is in the Mariana Trench, about 11 km deep. The pressure at that point is huge, about 1.13 x108 N/m2.
    (b) The density of water at the surface is 1.03 x103 kg/m3. Find its density at the bottom.

2. Relevant equations
    P=B(ΔV/V)

3. The attempt at a solution
    a. 1.13 x108 N/m2 = -(2.15 x109 Pa)(ΔV/(1.00 m3))
    ΔV = -0.053 m3
    b. Since water is not compressible, shouldn't the density be the same at the bottom of the ocean as the top?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2010 #2
    Well, everything is compressible, only the force required to compress it is different for each material. I don't know what your a. question was, since it seems you copied it wrong, but I see you calculated some sort of deltaV. If the volume changed, shouldn't the density have also changed?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/permot3.html

4. Jul 8, 2010 #3
    yes, i did copy part a wrong. the question for part a was: (a) Calculate the change in volume of 1.00 m3 of water carried from the surface to the bottom of the Pacific.
    so, if the density is different, how do i determine the change?

5. Jul 9, 2010 #4
    Well I'm not sure, but you should be able to calculate the weight of 1m3 water (don't know the density of sea-water...), and after you carried it down, the mass is still the same, so because m = qV, where q is density, you could say q1*V1 = q2*V2, and only q2 is unknown.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook