Integrating Bulk Modulus to Find Pressure at Variable Depth

In summary: Integrate both sides from z = 0 to z = h and from p = 0 to p = p. What do you get?In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the pressure at 5000 ft using the hydrostatic equation and bulk modulus equation. The final solution involves integrating the equations and solving for density in terms of pressure.
reddawg

Homework Statement

See image.

Homework Equations

pressure = density*gravity*depth

The Attempt at a Solution

The pressure at 5000 ft according to the book is 322,000 psf. This makes sense because density*gravity*depth = 2*32.2*5000 = 322,000 psf. How do I apply the bulk modulus equation to find the pressure at 5000 ft factoring a variable density with depth (The book says its 323,200 psf which makes sense because density increases with depth, although very slightly)?

Attachments

• Capture2.22.PNG
    Capture2.22.PNG
    44.8 KB · Views: 527
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the hydrostatic equation, expressed in terms of the derivative of pressure with respect to depth?

That would be just [density*gravity]. So how do I apply that?

reddawg said:
That would be just [density*gravity]. So how do I apply that?
Right. $$\frac{dp}{dz}=\rho g$$
Now, from the bulk modulus equation, if the density approaches ##\rho_0## at low pressures, what is the density at pressure p?

That's where I have trouble. I always end up with just [density*gravity*depth]. Is it just (1/g)*(dp/dz) ?

reddawg said:
That's where I have trouble. I always end up with just [density*gravity*depth]. Is it just (1/g)*(dp/dz) ?
The relationship between density and pressure does not involve z. It's strictly a physical property relationship (sort of like the ideal gas law, except for a liquid).

Chet

So, solving for density using the Bulk Modulus equation:

ρ = B*(Δρ/p)

reddawg said:
So, solving for density using the Bulk Modulus equation:

ρ = B*(Δρ/p)
Actually, the equation is $$\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{d\rho}{dp}=\frac{d(\ln \rho)}{dp}=\frac{1}{B}$$ What do you get if you integrate that, subject to the initial condition ##\rho=\rho_0## at p --> 0?

I get:

(1/B)*p = ln(ρ/ρ0) when factoring in the initial conditions.

reddawg said:
I get:

(1/B)*p = ln(ρ/ρ0) when factoring in the initial conditions.
Good. Now solve for ##\rho## in terms of p. What do you get?

ρ = ρ0ep/B

reddawg said:
ρ = ρ0ep/B
OK. Now substitute that into the hydrostatic equation in post #4. What do you get? Can you integrate that from z =0?

(dp/dz) = ρ0gep/B

How do I rearrange that to integrate from z=0 to h?

reddawg said:
(dp/dz) = ρ0gep/B

How do I rearrange that to integrate from z=0 to h?
Cmon man.

$$e^{-\frac{p}{B}}dp=\rho_0 g dz$$

What is Bulk Modulus Application?

Bulk Modulus Application is a measure of how resistant a substance is to compression. It is used to determine the compressibility of a material under pressure.

What are some common applications of Bulk Modulus?

Bulk Modulus is commonly used in engineering and materials science for designing and testing materials, such as rubber, metals, and plastics. It is also used in geology for understanding the behavior of rocks and other geological formations.

How is Bulk Modulus calculated?

Bulk Modulus is calculated by dividing the change in pressure by the change in volume for a given material. This ratio is typically expressed in units of pressure, such as Pascals or psi.

What factors can affect the Bulk Modulus of a material?

The Bulk Modulus of a material can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities. Changes in these factors can alter the compressibility of a material and thus affect its Bulk Modulus.

Why is Bulk Modulus important in materials science and engineering?

Bulk Modulus is important in materials science and engineering because it helps us understand how materials respond to pressure and compression. This is crucial for designing and testing materials for various applications, such as in building structures, manufacturing products, and exploring geological formations.